• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canadian Geese types (Ottawa Canada) (1 Viewer)

Catherine3678

I know most of the Geese flying by are the big Canadian Geese ... at this spot there's supposedly several "types" of them that fly through. As some of these in the photo appear to have shorter necks is there any chance that these are of the other types? Thanks.

Attachments

• geese.jpg
    geese.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 129
I know most of the Geese flying by are the big Canadian Geese ... at this spot there's supposedly several "types" of them that fly through. As some of these in the photo appear to have shorter necks is there any chance that these are of the other types? Thanks.

Hi Catherine,

Except for the Mallard Duck (#4 from the left) all of your geese are Cackling. The shorter necks and short bills, relative to Canada Geese, are the clues. And here's another diagnostic short cut: if the goose has to bend its neck into an "S" to graze from the meadow then its a "Canada". If it is a straight shot down to the forage, its a "Cackling".

Robert / Seattle

Last edited:

I am no expert but these geese do no look like Cackling geese the bill is to long and the size of the geese compared to the mallard shows your geese are to large for cacking As far as the short neck I belive that goose is just more relaxed I have picture of lesser canadas that the neck looks as short as a cackler here are a couple of shot to show what I mean

Cackling and mallard also group of cackling to show the very short beak

Al Kat

Attachments

• Cackling Goose IMG_0724.jpg
    Cackling Goose IMG_0724.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Cackling Goose IMG_0333.jpg
    Cackling Goose IMG_0333.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 89
I am no expert but these geese do no look like Cackling geese the bill is to long and the size of the geese compared to the mallard shows your geese are to large for cacking As far as the short neck I belive that goose is just more relaxed I have picture of lesser canadas that the neck looks as short as a cackler here are a couple of shot to show what I mean

Al Kat

Richardson's, then? (Though still leaning to (large) Cackling).
Edit: I take that back. I'm now thinking "Richardson's" ssp. of Canada Goose.

Last edited:
I'd say these are Canada Geese. The one smaller looking one may be a smaller individual but these geese are not proportioned right for cacklers for the reasons Al mentioned.

Al Kat

Thank you those are nice comparison photos ... no, the ones in my photo aren't as "cute" as the Cacklings appear to be and they certainly weren't the size of the Mallard! But neither were they as large as the majority of Canadian Geese that were present however, they come from over. Some may just be better fed and all that.

Thank you everybody for the ideas.

Hi Catherine,

Except for the Mallard Duck (#4 from the left) all of your geese are Cackling. The shorter necks and short bills, relative to Canada Geese, are the clues. And here's another diagnostic short cut: if the goose has to bend its neck into an "S" to graze from the meadow then its a "Canada". If it is a straight shot down to the forage, its a "Cackling".

Robert / Seattle

That's a good tip. So far though everytime I've seen what I was hoping might be a Cackling, they are either far out on the river or sleeping ... "one day".

Thank you those are nice comparison photos ... no, the ones in my photo aren't as "cute" as the Cacklings appear to be and they certainly weren't the size of the Mallard! But neither were they as large as the majority of Canadian Geese that were present however, they come from over. Some may just be better fed and all that.

Thank you everybody for the ideas.
That and during migration, migrant northern Canadas, mainly atlantic pass through the range of the more resident birds, most of which are giant as these are nonmigratory and are often the among the ones that were released into certain areas decades ago. When you're used to the larger residents, the migrants can really through you off.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back