• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help please: Opticron Universal Hide Clamp - views needed. (1 Viewer)

scampo

Steve Campsall
Can anyone advise, please?

I ordered an Opticron hide clamp from my local camera shop just before Christmas and, not having their product list handy, the owner phoned up Opticron who said what I "needed" their "Universal 2 Hide Mount" (model no. 40503).

Well - it has arrived and it seems very lightly constructed. The shop owner is very willing to send it back and swap it without problem and has let me take it to test it out. Sadly, I won't be able to get to a bird hide soon enough to give it a proper test and so wondered if anyone else has this product and if it is better than at first sight it seems? Surprisingly, trying it on my kitchen worktop it does seem to produce a fairly solid arrangement with my Nikon scope attached so I am wondering whether to risk it and hang on to it.

I had already looked at the Culmann version but it seemed so very bulky and I had heard some criticism of it when last in Norfolk. It's also a lot more expensive, of course.

I have an In Focus tripod that has a removable centre column, and looking at Opticron's website, their BC2 clamp looks a stronger alternative - I would use my own tripod's pan/tilt head + centre column with that.

Any advice would, as ever, be very highly appreciated.

Last edited:
I looked at the opticron clamp but felt it seemed far too flimsy.I use the manfrotto clamp into which I simply place the centre column & 128 head.If I decide i'm taking 'pod legs as well, I can either place clamp in a pocket or clamp it to the arm of the head. It's not too heavy or bulky.Cost c. £40-ish from warehouse express.I also use a manfrotto 679 monopod for longer walks and hide use ,again this piece of equipment is very sturdy but light.It cost c.£28 from jessops.I use the swaro' ats65hd with 30x having found that more often than not the leica apo I had was being left at home ,the thought of hefting it about for any length of time because of the weight...and i'm reasonably fit!

For what its worth the RSPB shop at Minsmere were recommending the U2 over the Cullman ( i was earwigging !) apparently they have had complaints over the Cullman.

I'm thinking of getting a hide clamp (no reason to take the 'pod to Rye mead for a start) so I was wondering whether to get a hide clamp or a new 'pod with integrated clamp.

Thanks for starting this Steve

I've had another go and it really does seem very sturdy once it's tightened up. I'm going to try to get to a bird hide before I have to decide but I suspect it will be far better (and so okay) than it seems. We get so used to the tripods we use but the hide clamp is only a foot or so tall. That said, the pan and tilt head on it is quite basic - but again, seemingly okay and does its job.

thomas reid said:
I looked at the opticron clamp but felt it seemed far too flimsy.I use the manfrotto clamp into which I simply place the centre column & 128 head.If I decide i'm taking 'pod legs as well, I can either place clamp in a pocket or clamp it to the arm of the head. It's not too heavy or bulky.Cost c. £40-ish from warehouse express.I also use a manfrotto 679 monopod for longer walks and hide use ,again this piece of equipment is very sturdy but light.It cost c.£28 from jessops.I use the swaro' ats65hd with 30x having found that more often than not the leica apo I had was being left at home ,the thought of hefting it about for any length of time because of the weight...and i'm reasonably fit!

I'll look into that option, Thomas. Just a quick look at the photos on the web and the Manfrotto doesn't look a lot different from the Opticron - but from what you say, it is (as I would guess). Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Steve
The flimsy one I saw was at my local rspb shop, maybe it wasn't opticron,perhaps velbon or some such.Any how I find what i'm using quite versatile.
Tom.

Thomas

I think you did see the Opticron (there aren't many) but maybe it was the original Universal I clamp that could have been even lighter than the Universal II that I have?

From what you've said, I think I shall go ahead and change it for the Opticron BC2 clamp and use that with my own tripod's centre column and tripod head. That's the clamp's weakness, I think.

The Manfrotto clamp looks similar not to the one I have but to the Opticron BC2 clamp.

scampo said:
Thomas

I think you did see the Opticron (there aren't many) but maybe it was the original Universal I clamp that could have been even lighter than the Universal II that I have?

From what you've said, I think I shall go ahead and change it for the Opticron BC2 clamp and use that with my own tripod's centre column and tripod head. That's the clamp's weakness, I think.

The Manfrotto clamp looks similar not to the one I have but to the Opticron BC2 clamp.

The ins & outs of birding equipment beggars belief ;)

When, I'm in a hide and there's not much hope of using a tripod due to space restrictions and conideration to other birders, I use a rifle grip, cheap, homemade, versitile & stable and costs nothing.

IH

Each to their own, I suppose, Ian. We all try to get the most out of what we enjoy doing, for some that includes the equipment we use, for others the fun of making do.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back