• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Sy's generous offer prompts a naive question: which species of birds can we reasonably expect, and want, to nest in the boxes at Upton apart from Blue Tits and, of course, Sand Martins? I am very ignorant about nesting practices and would welcome enlightenment.

Peter

Whilst not specifically answering your question, details of each species breeding attempts / successes are included in the annual report (back copies available from Mike) and in the Birds of Upton Warren opus (available on CD from myself).

76! Even better, it's not often we beat Belvide, they had 74 species according to Belvide Birding blog and Upton Warren only had 67 species by the 2nd.
Let's hope it's a good omen for the rest of the year.
Geoff

This is a quote on the West Midlands section of the forum referring to Middleton Hall RSPB reserve.
Looks like the game is on.
Geoff, as many of you know is an old Upton Boy...now gone to the dark side8-P

:-OJohn

Sy's generous offer prompts a naive question: which species of birds can we reasonably expect, and want, to nest in the boxes at Upton apart from Blue Tits and, of course, Sand Martins? I am very ignorant about nesting practices and would welcome enlightenment.

Peter

Peter

I have already sited a couple of new boxes this year (with a view to them possibly being used in the Spring). One targeted at the Pied Wags and the other at the Redstarts (yes, I know, this is a long shot). But if we get a hide in which to sit at the Flashes and the new growth hasn't erupted on the surrounding hedges, if you look right towards the gate, two Hawthorns to the left...

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
MEN AT WORK!

MOORS:
Shoveler (14)-----------------Teal (92) including dispersal from Flashes.
Tufted Duck (9)---------------G C Grebe (6)
Little Grebe--------------------Snipe (5)
Kingfisher----------------------Cormorant (39)
Sparrowhawk

SAILING POOL/ ED RES
Greylag Goose (24)-----------G C Grebe
G S Woodpecker (4)----------Lesser Redpoll (4)

RIVER SALWARPE:
Goldcrest (2)

Des.

Spring must be on the way if GC Grebe numbers are starting to rise at the Moors Pool.

Last year's peak count of Cormorant was 43 (on the 12th Jan) so we are already starting to approach that kind of figure.

Flashes work party - this Sunday

Just a reminder for those of you feeling the effects of an over-indulgant Christmas taht the first work party of the year at the Flashes is this Sunday (8th January), commencing at 10am.

Work will include a thorough inspection of the fox proof fencing (together with the planning of works to the fence to be undertaken in February) and further scrub management work to three main areas - the bramble patch by the steps, the hedge line between the feeding station hide and Hen Pool hide (as worked on in December) and the blackthorn around the feeding station itself. If it is feasible we will also see if the feeding table can be moved to a more accessible position.

Light refreshments (squash and biscuits) will provided, along with tools. Please wear old, warm clothes and boots / wellies.

Provisional dates for the following work parties are Sundays 5th February and 4th March - work will comprise of reinfocement to the fox-proof fencing, clearing the islands of vegetation and strimming the islands and foreshore ahead of the breeding season.

A further ad hoc work party may be required if there are additional "tidying up" works need upon the eventual completion of the hide.

Spring must be on the way if GC Grebe numbers are starting to rise at the Moors Pool.

Last year's peak count of Cormorant was 43 (on the 12th Jan) so we are already starting to approach that kind of figure.

On Tuesday 3rd Jan, a pair of GCG were displaying on the Moors, although they were still in winter plumage.

Don't know if the new hide has survived but I noticed today that the roofing is starting to lift on the
Sand Martin bank!

Rob
thanks for that Rob, will have to put some bricks on it, as with the water rail hide. We have thought about having a living roof on it and extending it so there is more of an overhang at the front. The eas t hide roof was moving as well, I have reported it to the Trust :t:
ps everyone, tonight on BBC1 Earth flight 2nd in a 6 part series about birds
B :)John

thanks for that Rob, will have to put some bricks on it, as with the water rail hide. We have thought about having a living roof on it and extending it so there is more of an overhang at the front. The eas t hide roof was moving as well, I have reported it to the Trust :t:
ps everyone, tonight on BBC1 Earth flight 2nd in a 6 part series about birdsB :)John

Saw last week's episode - brilliant! Starts at 8pm.

Dave,

Could probably break this down into three categories -(1) no breeding ever on site (2) unsuccessful breeding the previous year and (3) successful breeding the previous year - and see if there is any substantial variation between them (albeit we may be working with fairly small sample sizes for each category). If I send you that stats can you do the analysis?

......I also think that the previous years successful breeding facilitates an early return, especially with non passerines. We have noted this with LRP, Avocet and Common tern which are easy to record. .......

Thanks to Phil for the data, I have now tested your theories, John.

For Common Tern, there is a significant correlation between arrival date at UW and breeding success in the previous year (i.e. number of fledged young): r (28) = -0.509, p < 0.01 (figure 1).

For Little Ringed Plover, there is no significant correlation between arrival date at UW and breeding success in the previous year (i.e. number of fledged young): r (26) = -0.195, p = 0.32 (figure 2).

However, for LRP there is a significant correlation between arrival date at UW and the total number of breeding pairs: r (26) = -0.521, p < 0.01 (figure 3).

For LRP, one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) with post-hoc HSD test gives the following result:

F (2, 30) = 16.47, p < 0.01

Successful breeding versus unsuccessful breeding (in previous year): No significant difference in arrival date
Successful breeding versus no breeding (in previous year): Significant difference in arrival date (p<0.01)
Unsuccessful breeding versus no breeding(in previous year): Significant difference in arrival date (p<0.01)

A possible interpretation of these results is as follows:

Ringing studies show that Common Terns have a high level of natal philopatry (young birds return to their place of birth) as well as adult breeding site-fidelity. Therefore, the higher the number of birds fledged at UW the more return in subsequent years and the higher the likelihood of earlier return. Common Terns typically breed for the first time in their 3rd year.

Little Ringed Plovers, however, have been shown to have low levels of natal philopatry, even though adult site-fidelity is high. Therefore, this may explain why their early arrival only seems to depend on the total size of the adult breeding population and not on breeding success in previous years. LRP's typically breed for the first time in their 2nd year.

:t:

Attachments

• Common Tern Arrival Date Breeding Success Correlation.jpg
    Common Tern Arrival Date Breeding Success Correlation.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 39
  • LRP Arrival Date Breeding Success Correlation.jpg
    LRP Arrival Date Breeding Success Correlation.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 35
  • LRP Arrival Date Breeding Population Correlation.jpg
    LRP Arrival Date Breeding Population Correlation.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks to Phil for the data, I have now tested your theories, John.

For Common Tern, there is a significant correlation between arrival date at UW and breeding success in the previous year (number of fledged young): r (28) = -0.509, p < 0.01 (figure 1).

For Little Ringed Plover, there is no significant correlation between arrival date at UW and breeding success in the previous year: r (26) = -0.195, p = 0.32 (figure 2).

However, for LRP there is a significant correlation between arrival date at UW and the total number of breeding pairs: r (26) = -0.521, p < 0.01 (figure 3).

For LRP, one-way analysis of variance (ANOVA) with post-hoc HSD test gives the following result:

F (2, 30) = 16.47, p < 0.01

Successful breeding versus unsuccessful breeding: No significant difference in arrival date
Successful breeding versus no breeding : Significant difference in arrival date (p<0.01)
Unsuccessful breeding versus no breeding: Significant difference in arrival date (p<0.01)

A possible interpretation of these results is as follows:

Ringing studies show that Common Terns have a high level of natal philopatry (young birds return to their place of birth) as well as adult breeding site-fidelity. Therefore, the higher the number of birds fledged at UW the more return in subsequent years and the higher the likelihood of earlier return. Common Terns typically breed for the first time in their 3rd year.

Little Ringed Plovers, however, have been shown to have low levels of natal philopatry, even though adult site fidelity is high. Therefore, this may explain why their early arrival only seems to depend on the total size of the breeding population and not on breeding success in previous years. LRP's typically breed for the first time in their 2nd year.

:t:

Yep thought so8-P

joking apart very interesting Dave :t:
B :) see you the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back