• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best non ED? (1 Viewer)

Yes emphatically! The Vortex Viper is pretty close to the Razor except at the very top of the zoom. There isn't very much CA and it comes 20X60 by 80 or 15X45 by 65. I only sold mine because I bought the Kowa 884. Its also #899.00 including eyepiece.
Steve

Nikon field scope III non ed a.

Best non ed scope I have owned. If you could find a Swarovski 65mm non HD, unless you are really into photography would be the cats meow. : )

I have a Vortex Viper HD 65 angled that Im thinking of getting rid of. Zoom and fixed ep!

I replaced it with a Kowa for my wife and company.

Bryce...

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking for a non-ED scope? The ED variety tend to be better performers optically in general. They are available at almost every price point.

Cost! i,m desperate for a scope but cant afford to shell out a grand or so, i know EDs are the bizz but i need one for the wader season here, just something for a year or 2 till i can upgrade.

There are several relatively inexpensive ED scopes on the market. The Helios Fieldmaster 60 for example. The US version retails for around $250 and is an excellent performer. Jumping up to around $500 US the Celestron Regal M2 would be another excellent option. The Opricron 60 IS ED retails for around $600.

Hope this helps somewhat.

I don't know if they are available in Europe but the Alpen scopes especially the 20X60 80mm has gotten very favorable reviews for a scope under $500.00. I had one before I got the big Kowa.
Steve

Look on eBay. I got a cracking Bresser 20-60x80 for less than £50. Couldn't be happier. Seems to be better deals on second hand scopes than bins.

Thats a 52mm objective lens? I did see the Avian and pmd but had no reply.

Its a mighty fine scope and you may find the smaller objective very much the equal of many cheap scopes, the eyepiece plays a large part too.

Maybe you could give us some idea of size and budget you have in mind ?

Ok i think i,ve narrowed it down to 3, had my heart set on the avian in the classifieds but had no reply so... Olivon t90 for 300 sterling, nikon prostaff 5 at 425 euro or Hawke nature trek around same price.

I don't know if they are available in Europe but the Alpen scopes especially the 20X60 80mm has gotten very favorable reviews for a scope under $500.00. I had one before I got the big Kowa.
Steve

Yep you can get them in Europe and i,ve heard good and bad things about them, thing is, since the great reviews the price has gone up:C they are still cheaper in the US but then you have to pay 100 dollars postage

The one hundred dollars postage would be a deal killer all right. It's tough to keep track of what is sold where. Like Kite Optics that are supposed to be very good but not sold in north america and no one that I've talked to has plans to import.
Steve

Ok i,m down to 3! one of which will be ordered this weekend...the tension mountso:) Barr n Stroud Sierra for £115 which i think is great value for money, Hawke Nature Trek 100mm £292 0r the Olivon t90 for the same price, twist my arm:eek!: probably order one of them when i,m half cut tonight!!8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back