• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod suggestions (1 Viewer)

Max Levy

Hi all,
I've had a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod for a few years, it was my first and got it when I was only 13 or so. It's getting a bit short for me even though i'm not very tall. So It'd be great to have some suggestionsas to what to get next. I have a Swarovski scope head so as long they would go together.
Max

I really like my Velbon CF635. It´s sturdy, light weight and very functional. However I learned today that the new version of the tripod has screws to tighten the tripod to the tripod head. I would like that on my. Annoying when it unscrews.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I've had a Manfrotto carbon fibre tripod for a few years, it was my first and got it when I was only 13 or so. It's getting a bit short for me even though i'm not very tall. So It'd be great to have some suggestionsas to what to get next. I have a Swarovski scope head so as long they would go together.
Max

Max,

It would help if you could let us know what scope you are using (straight or angled), how tall you are and whether you digiscope.

John

Max,

It would help if you could let us know what scope you are using (straight or angled), how tall you are and whether you digiscope.

John

I'm about 5 foot 8 inches, my scope is a Swarovski 65mm hd angled body. Yes I do digiscope and have the swarovski adapter (the one you can flip over the scope when not taking pictures). Hope this helps
Max

I'm about 5 foot 8 inches, my scope is a Swarovski 65mm hd angled body. Yes I do digiscope and have the swarovski adapter (the one you can flip over the scope when not taking pictures). Hope this helps
Max

Well, Max, I wouldn't think that you need a tripod height of more than 115cm, preferably without the centre column extended, so the choice is wide.
Bear in mind that scope and and tripod head will each add about 10cm, that eye level is down 10cm and that you have to lower your head to view.
Avoid tripods with four leg sections. The bottom sections are then very thin and have an adverse effect on stability.
A few suggestions:-

Berlebach 2022 - inexpensive, very stable but 3kg
Manfrotto 055MF3
Gitzo GT2932 (basalt fibre)
Gitzo GT2531 (carbon fibre) if cost is no object

John

Well, Max, I wouldn't think that you need a tripod height of more than 115cm, preferably without the centre column extended, so the choice is wide.
Bear in mind that scope and and tripod head will each add about 10cm, that eye level is down 10cm and that you have to lower your head to view.
Avoid tripods with four leg sections. The bottom sections are then very thin and have an adverse effect on stability.
A few suggestions:-

Berlebach 2022 - inexpensive, very stable but 3kg
Manfrotto 055MF3
Gitzo GT2932 (basalt fibre)
Gitzo GT2531 (carbon fibre) if cost is no object

John

Thanks very much John, I'l look into all of those.
Max

Take a look at Feisol 3342 also. Should be just right for you and your scope without a center column using a 128 Manfrotto head.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back