• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Firth of Forth (1 Viewer)

Hyrax

Hello Scotland!

I'm staying with my in laws near Edinburgh over Christmas so I want to take the opportunity to catch up with some some over wintering seaducks in the firth. Target species include Long-tailed Duck, Common Scoter, Velvet Scoter and Red-necked Grebe. I'm also not going to turn my nose up at any divers that might turn up, especially Black-throated.

Can anyone advise on good watchpoints for any/all of these within about an hours drive of Edinburgh?

Thanks muchly,

Owen

You should be able to get good views of most of those at Musselburgh, which is probably the best place I know of for getting good looks at seaduck. Red-necked Grebe might be trickier - Gosford Bay near Longniddry is perhaps the best site.

I would suggest starting at Musselburgh (on the eastern outskirts of Edinburgh) - park by the River Esk Mouth then walk East along the seawall.
Gosford Bay can be really good although the majority of birds do tend to be a bit further out here, a higher tide would be better. It would be worth a look of the harbour at Port Seton, and also off Ferny Ness (NT439776).

This might be worth a look -
http://www.birdinglothian.co.uk/#/where-to-go/4532649206

Best of Luck..

Kris

Musselburgh is brilliant. Also Aberlady bay is worth a look. Had RN Grebe there.
For the life of me, I can't think of the site on the other side of the Forth. Good for Surf Scorer.
Mind you, this was back in the late 90's. Might have all changed by now.

Musselburgh is brilliant. Also Aberlady bay is worth a look. Had RN Grebe there.
For the life of me, I can't think of the site on the other side of the Forth. Good for Surf Scorer.
Mind you, this was back in the late 90's. Might have all changed by now.

Largo Bay

David

Great advice folks!

I spent 4 hours at Musselburgh today and racked up:

Goldeneye, Long-tailed Duck (at about 20 metres), Common Eider, Common Scoter, Velvet Scoter (again at about 20 metres), Red-breasted Merganser, Guillemot, Razorbill and a single Little Auk - all out on the Firth. Site nor sound of any divers or grebes though, maybe the warm weather is to blame?

There were 2 Twite and 4 Snow Bunting on the sea wall as well as numerous waders and ducks in the pools and a Kingfisher at the mouth of the Esk.

I've still got 2 weeks so I'll try and visit the other sites mentioned and probably a return trip to Musselburgh.

Thanks again,

Owen

Site nor sound of any divers or grebes though, maybe the warm weather is to blame?

Owen

Although Musselburgh is often good for grebes (predominantly slavonian) I would suggest trying off the Ferny Ness car park at Gosford Bay further down the coast. Best bet is in the mornings as light can be an issue, you should see RN Grebe, Slavonian & perhaps the regular wintering BN Grebe.

RT Diver should be about, with perhaps a chance of a BT or GN Diver here too at this time of year. Mind the harbour at Port seton too for gulls, I have often seen RN Grebe offshore.
Scoters are generally distant here but again there is always the chance of a Surfer. Good numbers of scoter can be seen off Aberlady/Gullane Point too.

The small stream running into the sea at Seton Sands holds good numbers of gulls in the evening with often a Med Gull or two to brighten up the day. Loads of Goldie's on the rocks here recently.

Other excellent areas in East Lothian are Aberlady/Kilspindie & Tyninghame.

Worth driving the back roads of East Lothian too looking for geese as there have been loads of Bean & Whitefront around in the last few weeks.

There are good nos of geese in at Aberlady Bay still. There are usually quite a lot of swans in the fields not far in land between Gullane + North Berwick sometimes as far as Tyninghame, lots of wonderful wee rds to explore there!!
Enjoy!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back