• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China 2010 (2 Viewers)

Thursday, 29th April

Shanghai, Fuxing Gongyuan

Those of you who have been following this thread would have seen photos of a number of species pulling worms out of the ground. Up until this morning, the clear record holder (length x girth x wriggliness of worm) was the Red-throated Thrush I photographed in Beijing recently. But, in Shanghai this morning, I saw an impressive specimen being extracted by a male Chinese Blackbird. :eek!:

The sequence of shots is attached. :eek!:

So impressive, in fact, that I've asked for The BBBC to adjudicate.

Attachments

• Chinese Blackbird 1.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird 1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Chinese Blackbird 2.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird 2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 62
  • Chinese Blackbird 3.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird 3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Chinese Blackbird 4.jpg
    Chinese Blackbird 4.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 69
Friday, 30th April

Shanghai, The Zoo

Worry not, I haven't resorted to taking photos of zoo birds... all the birds I photographed today were on the right side of the cages (although the free range Golden Pheasants did make my trigger finger switch for a moment... before I came to my senses).

Actually, I hadn't planned to go to the zoo, but again Xijiao Binguan - the best birding place in Shanghai - was closed for "refurbishment". Well, that's what the sign said, but the truth of the matter is that Hu Jintao, the Chinese president, is in town for the opening of the Shanghai Expo and he seems to prefer Xijiao to the Four Seasons.

After being turned away at the gate, I headed for the zoo, which is about 5 minutes up the road.

272 Spotted Dove
273 Eastern Crowned Warbler
274 Night Heron

Attachments

• Spotted Dove 272.jpg
    Spotted Dove 272.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 63
  • Eastern Crowned Warbler 273.jpg
    Eastern Crowned Warbler 273.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Night Heron 274.jpg
    Night Heron 274.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 64
  • Night Heron...jpg
    Night Heron...jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Night Heron....jpg
    Night Heron....jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 65
I always enjoy your photos Shi Jin, but particularly enjoy these action series. Great views of the worm's lost battle - you can see the wide stance and powerful work the blackbirds legs are doing - worm didn't have a chance, despite his great length!

I take it the night heron was nesting! Great to see him select the branch and carry off (and perhaps place it?). Quite nice!

Additionally shots of those warblers are an accomplishment!

Friday, 30th April

Beijing, Chaoyang

Back in Beijing. I dashed to an emergency session of The BBBC who were discussing the merits and mostly demerits of splitting Silver-throated Tit (from its distant cousin, the Long-tailed Tit). My crap photos that were taken earlier in the day in Shanghai were, frustratingly, considered "poor evidence"... that was until we'd finished the third pint of Guinness B :)B :)B :)when common sense prevailed and Silver-throated Tit (275) Aegithalos glaucogularis took its rightful place on The BBBC List.

Attachments

• Silver-throated Tit 2.jpg
    Silver-throated Tit 2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Silver-throated Tit 275.jpg
    Silver-throated Tit 275.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Friday, 30th April

Beijing, Chaoyang

Back in Beijing. I dashed to an emergency session of The BBBC who were discussing the merits and mostly demerits of splitting Silver-throated Tit (from its distant cousin, the Long-tailed Tit). My crap photos that were taken earlier in the day in Shanghai were, frustratingly, considered "poor evidence"... that was until we'd finished the third pint of Guinness B :)B :)B :)when common sense prevailed and Silver-throated Tit (275) Aegithalos glaucogularis took its rightful place when The BBBC List.

LOL, not in winter in Beidaihe hey? Nah, you can have this one ;)

Chinese Blackbird

Hi Shi Jin
Can u clarify status of Chinese Blackbird. I have visited China and assumed blackbirds I saw were Eurasian though they did look 'different'.

Saturday, 1st May

Hebei, Beidaihe

I had no plans to go to Beidaihe today, until that is I saw the weather forecast late last night.

The weather bureau was forecasting a force 6 SW wind at Yantai (on the Shandong peninsular) and force 5 SE wind at Tianjin, suggesting that there would be a nice "wind-loop" around the bit of the Bo Sea that many (most?) Beidaihe fall-migrants cross.

So, despite the May Day holiday traffic, I thought it would be worthwhile to drive the 290KM. Three and a half hours later, and with about four hours of light remaining I arrived in Beidaihe.

I decided to go down to the Magic Wood at Nandaihe, which despite being severely hacked in recent years still offers a tired migrant a plentiful supply of food.

The wood was quiet for the first 50 yards, and then I saw something that I had not seen for far too long: a Wryneck (276) .. closely followed by another one! I have a soft spot for Wrynecks... probably stemming back to when I found one at Wells Woods in Norfolk when I was 15.

Other than the Wrynecks, though, The first circuit of the wood was quite quiet (c10 Pallas's, a few Yellow-Browed Warblers; and afew Black-faced Buntings).

On the second circuit, I manged to to put my bins on one of Beidaihe's signature birds... a male Siberian Rubythroat (277) my earliest Beidaihe record by a few days. This bird was rather flighty though (perhaps signifying a "just-in"). In the 10 minute chase before I lost is completely I managed to get no closer than 60 yards. But couldn't resist posting a shot.

The third lap of the wood yielded a White's Thrush (further bolstering the idea that birds were dropping in).

By the fourth lap, Pallas's Warblers had increased to c50, Yellow-browed Warblers to c30, Black-faced Buntings to c10, and Dusky/Naumann's types to at least 4.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is good (strong winds from the south to south-west again). So, fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Wryneck.jpg
    Wryneck.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 77
  • Wryneck....jpg
    Wryneck....jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Siberian Rubythroat.jpg
    Siberian Rubythroat.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Catching the big one.jpg
    Catching the big one.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Nice!! Sounds like tomorrow could be very productive, good luck.

Never see enough Wrynecks, what's the 'heronry' looking like in Magic Wood, last year they'd moved in from the Big Wood and the level of ammonia in the leaf litter was not too productive for holding chats and the like...still they come anyway, just don't linger perhaps as long as they used to.

Sunday 2nd May

Hebei, Beidaihe

24 species of wader today! Including 2 flocks of Little Whimbrel at the Sandflats (11 and 6).

Will post the full story after dinner (as well as 20 photos).

Lovely to see the Wryneck - only one I've seen so far was roughly in that area (woods a little south of "magic" I believe). Also love the pallas's leaf getting "the big one"! (Are it's tail feathers really worn, or is that a trick of the light?)

I almost went down to the sandflats today, but ended up my husband and I decided to catch up on the more local scenery. Glad to hear that mobs of people didn't scare off all the waders...

Sunday 2nd May; 6.10 to 7.30am

Hebei, Beidaihe

I arrived on the shoreline of the Sandfalts at about 6.10am - a little later than I had intended. But just in time, because no sooner had I arrived that I heard the distinctive whistling of Little Whimbrel (278) . I looked up, because that's where they are most likely to be, but there was nothing in sight.

I then saw them. They were over the sea, but closing fast. They were also coming straight out of the sun. I adjusted my camera by + 1 step (which gave me a 1/1500th second exposure). 11 Little Whimbrels (278) then flew literally over my head. I fired off several shots and crossed my fingers that I hadn't messed it up.

In a matter of half a minute of so, they were lost from sight

15 minutes later (at 6.30) I saw another flock cof six birds also coming in off the sea. This flock was in no hurry to conninue northward, and circled the area several times before deciding that they's be better off elsewhere.

Attachments

• Little Whimbrels....jpg
    Little Whimbrels....jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Little Whimbrels......jpg
    Little Whimbrels......jpg
    61 KB · Views: 70
  • Little Whimbrels.jpg
    Little Whimbrels.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Sunday 2nd May; 6.30am to 9.30am

Hebei, Beidaihe, Sandflats

The Sandflats were rocking with a wader fest.

In about three hours there, as well as the 17 Little Whimbrels, I saw 4 Turnstone; a Bar-tailed Godwit (279); c30 Whimbrel (280) ; 2 dozen Red-necked Stint (281) ; several Kentish Plover; several Lesser Sand Plover, most of which in full summer plumage; three or four Sharp-tailed Sandpiper (282); ; a few dozen Greenshank; and 20 or so Marsh Sandpiper.

Attachments

• Bar-tailed Godwit.jpg
    Bar-tailed Godwit.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Whimbrel.jpg
    Whimbrel.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Red-necked Stint.jpg
    Red-necked Stint.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 91
  • Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.jpg
    Sharp-tailed Sandpiper.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 96
  • Sharp-tailed Sandpiper....jpg
    Sharp-tailed Sandpiper....jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Sounds like a good day - the Little Whimbrel shots are terrific - never seen a flight shot before - Great stuff!

Cheers
Mike

Some great shots, Stints interesting with the wayward tertial, smashing Sharpies!
Seems to me the 365 might be smashed a tad early!

I like the stilt reflection (plus lots of legs) in the last picture of a sharpie too.

If you're still in town - do you like the rain/rainy forecast? Will the next day's rain help bring migrants down?

Thanks for your replies...

Apologies for the late response, but have been a tad busy in the past few days (not to mention the lack of sleep).

Anyhow, answering in no particular order:

Chinese Blackbird... If this is the same species that breeds in North Norfolk (and a few other places I guess) then I will trade in my bins for a set of golf clubs. Just because no one has got round to spectrumising its DNA makes no difference to me. This is a blackbird that does weights twice a day, it also has an entirely different jizz (not surprisingly), and a completely different range of calls and song.

The Magic Wood I refer to is in Nandaihe. I very rarely get to the other magic wood near to Happy Island (because it is outside my patch... ie the Beidaihe recording area.. which is technically the juristiction area of Qinhuangdao).

Yes indeed rain can be wonderful (with the right winds, and the right conditions south of the Hebei coast). The ideal scenario (I guess) is a beautiful morning on the Shandong peninsular with a force 3 SW wind. And low cloud and rain over Beidaihe. When the rain stops... then drop everything and head to the coastal woods ;-). That's why I check the weather forecast for Yantai (and Dalian...to understand what the wind is doing over the Bo Sea).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back