• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6 different kookaburras (1 Viewer)

hello_27

So the other day i decided to go out on the veranda and see what arrives since there are several birds here and some i am yet to photograph.
This is when i was greeted with 6 kookaburras sitting in the gumtree...
I got a few photos and thought i'd share one. I know kookaburras arnt rare or anything but i thought this was kinda cool :)
Well anyway i also saw a currawong and red wattle bird.

So thats my birding day.

Attachments

• IMG_0975_1_forum.jpg
    IMG_0975_1_forum.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 112
They're extremely rare here though ;) What a wonderful sight that must have been for you.

A great picture, thanks hello_27.

Reminds me of the song I learned years ago (and all I know about kookaburras) "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree..."

Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of the song I learned years ago (and all I know about kookaburras) "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree..."

Thanks for sharing.
Ah. I see we are of similar 'vintage'; that song was in one of my old grade school music books in Canada as well.

Doubt very much that the lyrics would pass muster these days ... and in any case, whoever characterized their calls using adjectives like "merry" or "gay" had obviously never heard one in the flesh; "homicidal maniac on the edge of cracking" is more like it... |8.|

I have to echo the statements made in regards to the kookaburra song...

Also, that's a wonderful shot. Thanks for sharing!

Ah. I see we are of similar 'vintage'; that song was in one of my old grade school music books in Canada as well.

Doubt very much that the lyrics would pass muster these days ... and in any case, whoever characterized their calls using adjectives like "merry" or "gay" had obviously never heard one in the flesh; "homicidal maniac on the edge of cracking" is more like it... |8.|

Ha-ha, and I hadn't heard them until your comment caused me to look it up! Perhaps "gay" means "spirited" or "energetic"? We are probably of the same vintage, though it might not make you feel better if I tell that I seem to recall that I learned the song from my grandmother!

Thanks for sharing. You say that are not rare... it is? I always thought that are uncommon birds. Meybe because they seems too exotic for me :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back