• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (3 Viewers)

Bird Id

Here are my thoughts on this batch of photos.
1. Linnet ?
2 and 3. Not sure at all.
4. Sedge Warbler.

Attachments

• IMG_2016.JPG
    IMG_2016.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2269.JPG
    IMG_2269.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2295.JPG
    IMG_2295.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 50
Bird Id

1 and 2. Coal Tit or Willow Tit ?
3. Coal Tit
4 and 5. Green Sandpiper

Attachments

• IMG_2198.jpg
    IMG_2198.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2204.jpg
    IMG_2204.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2163.JPG
    IMG_2163.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 87
Many thanks for responding to my request. I dont want to start becoming a nuisance and bothering people too much when out and about.The first set of pictures are attached.
The first two I thought was some kind of warbler.
The next three I think are Yellow Wagtails but the spots on the bird in the third photo has given me some doubt.

The first two are Common Whitethroat which is a Warbler.

The last three are indeed juvenile Yellow Wagtails.

3. Coal Tit
4 and 5. Green Sandpiper

I'd say Willow Tit rather than Marsh for the first two which would be the likely confusion species - definitely not Coal Tit.

The rest are as stated.

It's worth adding locations to where birds have been seen as well as it greatly helps people know what's been seen when and where. Though following on from your earlier posts I presume these were all at Low Barns?

Thank you for your replies. You are correct in the location being Low Barns - sorry for not including the locations.
Enjoyed the visit to Low Barns as we managed to see our first GSW, Nuthatches, Wrens,Kingfisher, Willow Tit (now that you confirmed it)and Sedge Warbler.

Noel

3. Coal Tit
4 and 5. Green Sandpiper

The Willow Tit is ringed. Have you got more photo's? With some luck you might be able to figure out what it says on the ring. In that case you could find out for sure if it's a Willow or a Marsh Tit.

A few shots of the Wood Sandpipers, taken yesterday at Saltholme from the Saltholme Hide.
Also present but distant were little stint, ruff, BT godwit and the wiskered tern.

Attachments

• _MG_0567.jpg
    _MG_0567.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 53
  • _MG_0607.jpg
    _MG_0607.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 49
  • _MG_0682.jpg
    _MG_0682.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 48
  • _MG_0827.jpg
    _MG_0827.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_0959.jpg
    _MG_0959.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 44
A good two days birding:

White-rumped Sandpiper and Whiskered Tern yesterday, and I saw the Whiskered Tern again today along with fantastic close quater views of Wood Sandpiper.

A good two days birding:

White-rumped Sandpiper and Whiskered Tern yesterday, and I saw the Whiskered Tern again today along with fantastic close quater views of Wood Sandpiper.

Well done Andrew!
Did you notice the White-rumped Sandpiper turned up on exactly the same date as the one at Cresswell Pond back in 2008?
Guess what I'll be looking out for on July 28th next year :-O

Last edited:
A White-rumped Sandpiper turned up as well this afternoon along the causeway at RSPB Saltholme plus around 20 Black-tailed Godwit one of which is colour ringed - it's been reported via BTO.

A White-rumped Sandpiper has been reported on Birdguides as being at Greatham Creek this evening as well.

I received the BT Godwit ringing details next day - the fastest response yet!

Many thanks for reporting this colour-ringed black-tailed godwit!

........, this one was ringed by our project in Portugal. WG-YGflag
was ringed as adult male (details on first line) and recorded since at:

>12.11.08 Alhos Vedros (South Tank), Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 13.11.08 Moita Boavista, Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 16.11.08 Baixa, Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 18.02.09 Alhos Vedros (Tanks), Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 23.02.09 Samouco Restinga, Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 28.02.09 Baixa, Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 26.03.09 Speicherkoog Dithmarscher, Schleswig-Holstein, NW Ger
> 24.04.09 Butt of Lewis lighthouse, Isle of Lewis, Outer Hebrides, N Sco
> 25.11.09 Moita, Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 26.11.09 Baixa, Tagus Estuary, Setúbal, W Por
> 28.03.10 Beltringharder Koog, Schleswig-Holstein, NW Ger
> 31.03.10 Beltringharder Koog, Schleswig-Holstein, NW Ger
> 02.04.10 Beltringharder Koog, Schleswig-Holstein, NW Ger
> 03.04.10 Beltringharder Koog, Schleswig-Holstein, NW Ger
> 04.04.10 Beltringharder Koog, Schleswig-Holstein, NW Ger
> 28.07.10 Saltholme, Teesmouth, Cleveland, NE Eng
>
> This is its first record during Autumn migration - nice one! ;-)

Another colour-ringed bird was present seen by others but the ring details were incomplete and couldn't be identified.

No sign of the WR Sandpiper yesterday but the Whiskered Tern is still around roosting on the same pool though on and off wandering a little further during the day to the Rec Pond and Back Saltholme.

I received the BT Godwit ringing details next day - the fastest response yet!...

Fascinating reading Ian, well done in getting in reporting the ring details. Amazing to see how many times this individual has been reported and its pattern of movements. Surprising that it moves up to northern Germany first before cutting across the North Sea; I'd have thought from Portugal, it would have moved up through Holland/East Anglia. All makes you appreciate migration that little bit more.

Mark

The Willow Tit is ringed. Have you got more photo's? With some luck you might be able to figure out what it says on the ring. In that case you could find out for sure if it's a Willow or a Marsh Tit.

Thanks for that. I have one other photo - the ring details are not that clear but I will submit what I can see.

Noel

Thanks for that. I have one other photo - the ring details are not that clear but I will submit what I can see.

Noel

Not wanting to put you off sending the ring details in, but the BTO are totally snowed under and I don't think they'll appreciate the extra work of tracing the ring number of a bird already in a ringers hand, just to satisfy curiosity. Best is ask the ringers if you see them at Low Barns again, or better still, have another visit and try to see/hear both species there - several pairs of each are resident in the area.

Mark

I saw a large bird flying over our house the other day. It looked Heron size and I thought Grey Heron, but it looked wrong! Just something about it didnt say Heron, and then it called, a weird un-heron like sound. Possible stork or crane??

I saw a large bird flying over our house the other day. It looked Heron size and I thought Grey Heron, but it looked wrong! Just something about it didnt say Heron, and then it called, a weird un-heron like sound. Possible stork or crane??

Was the head and neck held out stright or tucked in like a heron?

Black Stork, White Stork, Spoonbill, and Crane all fly with their helds and necks out straight rather than tucked in like a Heron.

Common Crane call: http://www.xeno-canto.org/recording.php?XC=48093

Was the head and neck held out stright or tucked in like a heron?

Black Stork, White Stork, Spoonbill, and Crane all fly with their helds and necks out straight rather than tucked in like a Heron.

Common Crane call: http://www.xeno-canto.org/recording.php?XC=48093
Straight out, but not prominent like a goose, and wings held differently to geese. Listening to that call now-it does ring a bell! Oh why didnt I have my binos/camera with me!!

DBC Castle Lake Nature Reserve.

Good selection of birds in & around that part of the Bird Clubs Nature Reserve at Bishop Middleham on Friday.

70 odd species seen, with highlights including:- Pintail, Kingfisher, Greenshank, Willow Tit, Green Sandpiper, 30+Yellow Wagtail, Little Ringed Plover, Corn Bunting, Golden Plover, Tree Sparrow etc

some detail on blog

http://s-evans.blogspot.com/

Attachments

• Gshank.gif
    Gshank.gif
    133.5 KB · Views: 86
Back in the Field: Whitburn

After a three years away from birding I'm finally back doing what I love.

At Whitburn today, just below the car park, a nice adult Med. Gull and four Sanderling, too.

Bollihope this morning

a few from Today

Attachments

• IMG_0419(1).JPG
    IMG_0419(1).JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0439(1).JPG
    IMG_0439(1).JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0457(1).jpg
    IMG_0457(1).jpg
    77 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0464(1).JPG
    IMG_0464(1).JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back