• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Honey Buzzard in Bristol? (1 Viewer)

Birds 4ever

Is it just me or do non-birders see rare birds you
Hi, this is my first post! Yay!
Anyway, I'm only a teenager, but on the 13th of August, in Bristol(more sort of wood/field area, not in the city centre) at about 6 in the morning, I saw a raptor.

My first inpression was a BUZZARD! BUT NOT A COMMON!

It had more sort of rectanglish longer tail than common buzzards....

But I only saw it gliding for about 2 seconds and the light was poor so I did not get anymore details....

Was it a honey buzzard? But not many books say that you can find them in Bristol, and THEY ARE NOT COMMON BIRDS ANYWHERE!

What do you think? If it was one, it would mark my 122th british bird....:eek!:

Welcome to Birdforum :t: and great to see another young birder such as myself

You can't be sure what it was from the little description you have given but if a longer rectangular tail was the only stranger feature then it is most likely to have been just a Common Buzzard at a slightly strange angle so looked different.

And since you are a young birder you might be interested in the young birders thread where you can get to know the rest of us on birdforum.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=45989&page=194

Jonny

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back