• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goshawks (1 Viewer)

Bean Counter

As I start a new job 01/11/04 I have a few days spare next week to go looking for Goshawks. I am planning to stay in our motorhome for a few days birding and am prepared to travel a fair way up from the South Coast.

If anyone can give me any tips etc I would be really greatful as this is a bird I would love to see.

Thanks in advance

I don't know of the situation in the Midlands. I would suggest you try the New Fancy viewpoint in the Forest of Dean. The young birds should be looking for their own territories at this time of year so you could get sightings away from known areas. Don't bother yomping through the woods, best try to find an open area to scan over the woods. There are often lots of Woodpigeons moving at this time of year, if you find a flock in a Beech or Oak woodland, spend some time watching; they may attract Peregrine, too, if a Gos flushes them above canopy height.

Andy.

I would say it is possibly the hardest time to get to see Gossies right now, I only see them in the spring/summer and even then only occasionally, I do have the good luck to have a pair around here in the south, but to see them is not easy. If you wanted Owls then now is the best time.

I only know of the well publicised sites for Goshawk, and if I did know of any other I'd be more than reluctant to post it on an open Forum.

Cheers for that all, and isn't it always the way that extra free time comes along at the "wrong" time. Sorry Rob - wasn't really thinking

No apology necessary!

It's useful to remind people every now and again that all the subcribers to the Forum may not be as scrupulous as us !

I think you make a very important point about taking care in naming sites Rob. It got me wondering whether or not Birdforum has any guidance on this matter. I realise it would be silly to have some kind of blanket ruling that would prevent any passage of information but having seen nest theives in action around my area I have often wondered how many of them look into Forums like this one. In trying to offer help to fellow posters it can be so easy to alert the wrong type. I am sure that most of the regular users of the forum don't need such reminders but lesser experienced users could so easily fall into this trap.

Brian

Ok , not actually giving breeding sites away , but I have seen more than a few not far from Beancounter at Church Norton , just down the road from Pagham Harbour , they keep the waders active when the tide is right . Best one I saw just sat still as a rock until a passing Redshank came too close .........he rest is history ( and a lot of feathers ! )

Ashley

David Bryant said:
Mayday Farm, near Thetford is the place, but this isn't the time! Feb - April is best!

I though Mayday Farm's reputation had gone down hill!?! Last "spring" there was no sight nor sound of anything raptorial one snowy, cold morning!

Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back