• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

night singing (1 Viewer)

niloptera

Almost 1am in Hackney London E2 and for the fourth night in a row, one of our local blackbirds is singing his heart out and as far as we can make out, he sings all night. Whilst obviously, this is pretty much Central London, I don't think of it as a particularly brightly-lit area. Last year's night singer was a Wren. Are they learning from each other?

On January 9 at 11.00pm walking my dog I heard a song thrush singing like it was the end of a warm summer's day in a tree in a local park. Plus I was at the local A&E a couple of weeks back and a robin was going full pelt somewhere in the car park at 2.30am.

I have talked with a few non-birders, who have a reasonable amount of general knowledge, and they tell me they have heard nightingales locally. They think that they are the only species that sing at night, and are quite surprised when you tell them otherwise, and that it was something more common.

Articles I've read on this declare that it's almost always Robins which do this.

Round our way, that is certainly true, although I've also heard Blackbirds quite regularly.

Number 1 on my 2007 Year List is Blackbird - heard singing from the garden at 0305 January 1st (after all of the fireworks had quietened down!)

For the last couple of weeks there has been Blackbird, Robin and SongThrush all singing within earshot of the garden during the night.

Nice dawn chorous beginning over the last few days too.

Mike

I've been getting up regularly the past month at 0430. The past 2 weeks I have had the birds singing from around 0430- 0500 onwards especially with the clearer weather. At least it makes having to get up that early for work a bit more of a joy.

lockbreeze926 said:
Articles I've read on this declare that it's almost always Robins which do this.

well they're wrong. Robins, Song Thrushes and Blackbirds are all at it, and Sedge Warblers are also ones for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back