• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Location, Location,Location (1 Viewer)

NJ Birders

Hi all. I'm not sure how often these "Local Patch" threads get used, but we're planning a photo trip to MD & DE soon and I was wondering if anyone could provide some good spots. I'm not familiar with the area but thought we'd be along the coast. Thank you for any input - always appreciated!

Ellen

There are a number of very good spots along the Delaware coast: Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Prime Hook National Wildlife Refuge, Indian River Inlet, Cape Henlopen State Park, to name a few. Along the Maryland coast there is Ocean City Inlet, Skimmer Island (in Ocean City), Assateague State Park and Assateague National Seashore. Further south there is a place called Truitt's Landing which is good for saltmarsh birds. Just a bit further south in Virginia is Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge, which is also well worth a visit. If you can find a copy of Claudia Wilds' "Finding Birds in the National Capital Area", it will give you detailed information about most of these areas, though it is a bit dated.

Hope this helps,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back