• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aldi ,Scope (1 Viewer)

JRiddell said:
Hi there to everyone on this board and especially to Henry B. I'm the store manager at Aldi Elgin and would like to let you know that when these scopes went on sale , I had one returned later that afternoon. The lady that took it back said that she couldn't get it to focus properly so I gave her a refund for it. I read your post last night and went into the store today to have a look at them. Now i'm no bird watcher and have never had occasion in the past to use binoculars but I could get them to focus fairly clearly in my warehouse from one end to the other, approx 70 feet, enough to read the writing on some cases of stock. What I'm trying to say is that if you are intersested , you are more than welcome to come along and purchase them with the confidence that if they are not what you want then you will be assured a full, no quibble refund.
they are not for me, but that is kind .

Borrowed my neighbours out of curiosity and on a tripod alongside my Leica 77 I was pleasantly suprised, focus is critical, depth of field shallow and softish at higher zooms but for the price very impressive. This was at a Northumbrian Lough at considerable range, image was bight and distant wildfowl easily identified.

As suggested ideal for keeping in the car. Did not experience the brownish ring others have commented on.

Stewart

JRiddell said:
Hi there to everyone on this board and especially to Henry B. I'm the store manager at Aldi Elgin and would like to let you know that when these scopes went on sale , I had one returned later that afternoon. The lady that took it back said that she couldn't get it to focus properly so I gave her a refund for it. I read your post last night and went into the store today to have a look at them. Now i'm no bird watcher and have never had occasion in the past to use binoculars but I could get them to focus fairly clearly in my warehouse from one end to the other, approx 70 feet, enough to read the writing on some cases of stock. What I'm trying to say is that if you are intersested , you are more than welcome to come along and purchase them with the confidence that if they are not what you want then you will be assured a full, no quibble refund.
Thanks I,m on my way. hb

[QHi there to everyone on this board and especially to Henry B. I'm the store manager at Aldi Elgin and would like to let you know that when these scopes went on sale , I had one returned later that afternoon. The lady that took it back said that she couldn't get it to focus properly so I gave her a refund for it. I read your post last night and went into the store today to have a look at them. Now i'm no bird watcher and have never had occasion in the past to use binoculars but I could get them to focus fairly clearly in my warehouse from one end to the other, approx 70 feet, enough to read the writing on some cases of stock. What I'm trying to say is that if you are intersested , you are more than welcome to come along and purchase them with the confidence that if they are not what you want then you will be assured a full, no quibble refund.
I am perfectly satisfied. For the price a bargain.

O K , got the scope to-day but conditions at Spey Bay was dismal ,one of the greyest day,s of the year, will try again later in week..

Test sort of .

O K, got to use the scope for a little while to-day and was pleasantly surprised with the view. Although not the brightest scope ,for £25 it is a good buy. will certainly keep it in the car for those "wish I had a scope " moments.

It's not too shabby, is it? A bit limited in field of view and sometimes even at 20 x magnification, it's almost too much magnification, but I'm happy!

Got the scope this morning - went birding with my daughter this afternoon. Me with my Hawke, her with her Aldi ;o)

-one happy father, (she wasnt breathing in my ear every time I looked into the scope)
-one happy daughter (which for a 13 year old is a rarity)

even used tried my SLR adapter through the aldi with impressive results - until I realised that the adapter cost more than the scope!

Red Thunder - a less than 6 grand option ;o)
http://www.srb-griturn.com/hawke-optics-eyepieces-379-p.asp

Got the scope this morning - went birding with my daughter this afternoon. Me with my Hawke, her with her Aldi ;o)

-one happy father, (she wasnt breathing in my ear every time I looked into the scope)
-one happy daughter (which for a 13 year old is a rarity)

even used tried my SLR adapter through the aldi with impressive results - until I realised that the adapter cost more than the scope!

Red Thunder - a less than 6 grand option ;o)
http://www.srb-griturn.com/hawke-optics-eyepieces-379-p.asp

Try 7dayshop.:t:

Aldi Scope

Hi all,

New to this forum. Just bought the Adventuridge scope from Aldi's - £26. Just bought it as a first scope as I have not had one before. I have read about the failings, but as it is cheap you can't complain.

Questions...

When you use anything from 40x plus the vision is darker and less sharp - I take it this is normal??

When I focus one something at about 40x and re-adjust the focus the thing I have focused one moves, nearly out of vision as if the focus adjuster seems to move something - is this normal for a cheapie scope or is there a fault?

Regards,
Steve
:cool:

I guess at 40 x, the field of view is quite narrow, so any small adjustment can knock it off centre, whether through an internal fault, or just the torque of twiddling the focussing knob is moving it on the tripod head.
As for the darkness and loss of clarity at high magnification, it's just the way these scopes are. The depth of field seems to decrease markedly and the amount of light entering is reduced a lot.
I haven't got my one of these any more after the gentle ministrations of Queasyjet managed to crush the casing (and although it's cheap, that must have taken a hell of a force to do) despite it being wrapped in several pairs of trousers and jumpers and in its padded case.

Just got one of the Aldi scopes today and only tried it through the window so far. For £25 my first impressions are good. It works and the image looks OK to me. Can not fault it for the price, seems well built enough. You have got 30 days to retun if you do not want it so I do not see how anyone could loose out on these.

whats the weight on this scope? in summer i often walk from ashington to cresswell, so i dont wanna carry my 80mm kowa with me.

Want something cheap, that can take the odd knock.

NOt sure whee nearest aldi store is.....will google.

whats the weight on this scope? in summer i often walk from ashington to cresswell, so i dont wanna carry my 80mm kowa with me.

Want something cheap, that can take the odd knock.

NOt sure whee nearest aldi store is.....will google.

I'm not sure what the exact weight is, but it's light and very easy to carry.

Just got one of these today as a stop gap. Never used a scope before so I don't know if the problem I have is a faulty scope or just me being a Numpty.

When I look through it at any magnification I cannot see anything unless I bring my eye backwards away from the eyepiece. If I press my eye up against the eyepiece it is as if I am getting a reflection of my eye on the lens which blocks out the image.

Is it me?

It is called eye relief.
Found this bit which sort of explains it.
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/binoculars5_eyerelief.html

If it is too bad I would take it back to Aldi and see if they can change it for another one, you can always quote the "eye relief" bit to them....and after all they all have 3 years guarantee on them from Aldi.

PS Mine is still going fine.

I thought that's what it was but as I said I don't really know what to expect from a scope as I have only used bins before. The instructions say press your eye firmly onto the eyepiece but when I do this I cannot see anything, I can get an ok view by holding the scope a few mm from from my eye. Surely this isn't normal. My wife looked through it and couldn't see anything at all.

Apart from not being able to see much the scope is really good :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back