• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A small evaluation of the Kowa Prominar 8.5x44 XD.. (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

So..now I have had the opportunity to use my new Kowa Prominar 8.5x44 XD in a few days. Here are some short comments from me about it:

First impressions: It feels very well built and gives a sense of being able to cope with tough conditions.

Design: Stylish, clean lines and the words "Prominar" inside the glass is very appealing. I also like the "natural green” color.

Weight: With its 950 gram is 8.5x44 XD one of the heaviest binoculars on the market. But this is just numbers on paper. In reality it is not very heavy. I use a harness should be said, so the binoculars are very easy to carry. A harness is highly recommended to anyone who does not have super-light binoculars to carry around. A great product!

Balance: Great balanced. It makes both the binoculars comfortable to hold and it feels lighter than the 950 grams it actually weighs.

Focusing: Focus wheel was slightly sluggish when the binoculars just arrived. I was actually a bit disappointed then. But now after a few days of use the focus has become much better and smoother. The focus wheel is made of metal and you get a good grip with two fingers. However, I can imagine that it could be a bit cold on the finger tips during really cold days due to the metal surface.

Diopter: The diopter adjustment is not quite optimal. Good in theory, but sometimes causes trouble in practice. I also had difficulties in obtaining the correct setting for my eyes. It seems that the diopter adjustment on the Kowa 8.5x44 XD are quite sensitive. Now I have set it to zero..and it works really well for me. Once the setup is done and the diopter is locked in position, then you can rest easy - it will remain in that position.

To look through: For me with spectacles the binoculars work very well. No problem at all to see the entire field of view. Fully approved at this point, then!

Field of view: 122 meters is perhaps not so impressive. But given that the magnification is 8.5x and not 8x..it is still clearly approved. Read somewhere that the 122 meters on a 8.5x corresponds to 130 meters on a 8x. Therefore comparable to the Nikon 8x32 SE.

Sharpness: The sharpness is very good, but I do not think it is razor sharp as the Nikon 8x32 SE is. But thanks to the slightly higher magnification of the Kowa, I feel that I can see more details in some situations than with the Nikon.

Edge sharpness: Could have been better I think. Though it is funny..in some situations, edge sharpness is very good while in other situations it is quite soft. I have no explanation for this strange phenomenon. I will take a closer look at this tomorrow..

Contrast: Really good - nothing to complain about here!

Brightness: The Kowa is really bright and clear. Zeiss Victory 8x42 was certainly brighter when I tested it, but the Kowa is not so far behind after all.

Color: In review after review I read that the Kowa XD is completely color neutral. It has certainly very good colors, but I do not agree that it is completely color neutral. I think it has a slightly cold tone (a little blue-green cast). The colors are still very good and the slightly cold tone is nothing to worry about really. The Nikon 8x32 SE is more color neutral than the Kowa. It is actually almost completely color neutral to me.

Chromatic aberration: This bin handles CA very very well. It is a pleasure to be able to use a roof binocular without seeing a prominent CA. Only at the far end of the field of view appears a bit CA in certain situations. CA in the Kowa can be completely ignored.

Summary: The Kowa Prominar 8.5x44 XD is a well-built binocular that feels good in my hands. Not least thanks to its excellent balance. Optics is generally very good; sharp, high contrast, almost neutral colors and free from chromatic aberration. It is also bright. The focus wheel is fast, precise and smooth. The diopter adjustment could be improved because it can be a bit difficult to deal with sometimes. But once locked, it stays there. The Kowa weighs 950 grams which is pretty much..and maybe too much for a neck to carry for several hours. With a harness (which I definitely recommend anyone with a bit heavier binoculars to buy) are also 950 gram a delight to carry. I´m pleased with the bin and for me it´s a keeper.

Optically, I think my old Nikon 8x32 SE is better, but right now it feels like it is the Kowa I primarily will use in the future. This mainly for five reasons:

1. Better focus wheel
2. The brightness
3. The absence of CA
4. Slightly higher magnification
5. Pleasant to look through

But also because of this:

6. The Kowa is completely waterproof
7. Has a very good minimum focusing distance
8. The lens caps can be attached to the bin
9. It´s fun with new toys.... ;)

/Jonas

Last edited:
Jonas,
Congatulations on the new bino, and thanks for the review.

Comparing to the SE is indeed a hard test. There are ways in which even the best roof made cannot win against the best Porro. It is similar with me and my Zeiss FL vs my 7x50 Fujinon FMT, I still see something in the Porro, that I don't in the Zeiss. CA! Ha Ha, I also something good, not merely a razor, but a scapula-like sharpness. Of course vs a 3-pounder there's no question which goes birding, except rarely, and then I am sorry. Roofs are just way ahead in comfort, and handling ease, and are now made with ED glass, and these things are very important, so long as the basic optics are AT LEAST excellent!

Enjoy the Kowa, I'd love to try one.
Ron

There are 2 other reviews of this binocular in the Equipment Review Forum herein. You will find them in the "large binocular" section.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back