• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ES GA 100 VS Celestron Regal M2 100 (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I know the Regal comes from China & did own 2, can someone tell me if the Opticron 100 is China made or elsewhere ? I have the Opticron SDL (New Version) zoom , I was wondering how much better the Opticron would be used visually compared to the Regal 100 supplied zoom with the M2 zoom. I know from past experience 95% of the time when more money is spent on higher end optics, one ends up with a much better product. I am reminded of this fact every time I look thru my Kowa Prominar 77 with the 25-60 zoom eyepiece. The Opticron would be about $600-700 more just for the body(scope) than the Celestron with the zoom included, I really like the Opticron zoom ... Would the Celestron be noticeably inferior to the Opticron es 100 with the SDL eyepiece ???? ... gwen

The only significant technical change since Kimmo's review is that the latest generation (v3) of the ES scopes are all nitrogen-filled. Since that 2004 review, there have been two version changes which have delivered improvements to the optical system. The v2 scopes ran from 2006 to 2009 and v3 continues today.

Cheers, Pete

Pete,

Can you elaborate on the improvements on the optical system? As far as I recall, the areas in which the ES 100 might have most benefited from updates were a prism system with less light losses and multi coatings with better transmission and color balance characteristics. Thirdly, the ES 100 had somewhat more chromatic aberration than the best top-end scopes. But these were only relative shortcomings, and overall the scope performed very well.

I haven't checked the latest reincarnations of the ES 100. If I do, I'll post my impressions.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back