• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ideas for birding in autumn (1 Viewer)

Andrea-Bologna

Hi there. I’m from Italy and I wonder if birding in autumn in Ireland (October, November?) could be interesting for someone like me, who never visited north Europe on the whole. I guess the reply is YES. As you can imagine, I miss a lot of species….
Anyway, I’d have some limitations:
  • Cheap flight to Dublin
  • No rented car because I can’t imagine to drive on the wrong side of the road |:S|
  • Nice birding spot which can be reached by public transport or taxi (I guess this ‘d not be cheap)
  • 4 or 5 days and no more
I have (and never used) “Where to watch birds in Britain and Ireland” (D.Tipling) and “Bill Oddie’s Birding Map of Britain and Ireland”.
Some ideas?? Thank you, very appreciated…
PS: posted similar also on the Scotland page

Hi there. I’m from Italy and I wonder if birding in autumn in Ireland (October, November?) could be interesting for someone like me, who never visited north Europe on the whole. I guess the reply is YES. As you can imagine, I miss a lot of species….
Anyway, I’d have some limitations:
  • Cheap flight to Dublin
  • No rented car because I can’t imagine to drive on the wrong side of the road |:S|
  • Nice birding spot which can be reached by public transport or taxi (I guess this ‘d not be cheap)
  • 4 or 5 days and no more
I have (and never used) “Where to watch birds in Britain and Ireland” (D.Tipling) and “Bill Oddie’s Birding Map of Britain and Ireland”.
Some ideas?? Thank you, very appreciated…
PS: posted similar also on the Scotland page

Hi Andrea,

1. I strongly, strongly recommend that you reconsider renting a car. Ireland is not a public transport friendly country. It's not Italy...so you should find the drivers less insane ;) ...well...marginally

2. Decide what species would interest you. It's still pretty easy to see a variety of seabirds you may not regularly see in Italy. In October you could potentially be looking at some American vagrants on headlands and estuaries in the south/west of the country if you can go that far.

3. Get your hands on Eric Dempsey's "where to find birds in Ireland", for up to date info on where to go, including the various sites in Dublin itself, which should be reachable by public transport if needs be.

Regards

Owen

thanks for the reply. Anyway, I finally decide to go to.... Nederland! It'll be easier due to better flights and no hassle having to drive the car on the opposite side we are used.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back