Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 21:05   #26
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTem View Post
Agree with all of this. Fancy a go at being my MP?
Mick
I somehow think I wouldn't stand much of a chance of being elected in Surrey, Mick. Then again a few months back who'd have thought I'd be typing this in the People's Republic of Canterbury ? Fortunately, our new incumbent is fairly 'green' for a Labour MP.

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 21:30   #27
Jack Dawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
At the very least large shooting estates should be licenced and part of that licence should be to permit all nests of threatened species to be covertly video monitored by RSPB et al (and thus making all video evidence admissible in court). Access to ornithologists etc to carry out monitoring work should be guaranteed as part of the licence. Vicarious liability to be introduced as a matter of urgency. General Licence restriction loopholes which allow estates to carry on as normal should be closed. Setting snares banned. Concealing your face (and thus identity) whilst armed should also be made a criminal offence. Serving wildlife crime officers should not be permitted to have direct involvement in game shooting. Public grants should be closely monitored and, if necessary and with due warning withdrawn on estates with a suspicious lack of raptors. The should be a presumption that publically funded satellite tagging data should be released promptly.
Great suggestions there, John.
Old Saturday 18th November 2017, 22:42   #28
John Cantelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dawe View Post
Great suggestions there, John.
Then again perhaps it'd be easier if we just satellite tagged gamekeepers .

Please support Andalucia Bird Society www.andalusiabirdsociety.org Visit my website & blog on birding in SW Spain at http://birdingcadizprovince.weebly.com/
Old Sunday 19th November 2017, 00:08   #29
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
Then again perhaps it'd be easier if we just satellite tagged gamekeepers .
Actually I thought those collars in The Running Man were pretty neat

John
Old Sunday 19th November 2017, 23:00   #30
jim48
jim48

Ummm, there is something at the back of my mind that recalls being told that as late as the 1950s there was an annual payment (tax? licence?) to the Inland Revenue for each of (i) using a coat of arms,(ii) employing a butler and(iii) employing a gamekeeper. Land that was shot over (exercise of sporting rights ) was subject to a rate payable to the local council.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 16:30   #31
John Morgan

Another petition just started that is closer to home for many birders.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/201682
The raising of pheasants for shooting probably accounts for huge numbers of Sparrowhawks, Buzzards and Kestrels annually, but these species are less iconic than Hen Harriers and Golden Eagles which are the primary target of grouse moor owners. Still a petition worth supporting, even if it only gets to the 10,000 mark for a response from HMG. It will send a message.
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 17:23   #32
Jack Dawe

Signed
Old Tuesday 12th December 2017, 18:37   #33
Nutcracker
Northumbrian

Ditto
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: