• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feather Art (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
I have been reminded of a news article I saw in the UK a few years ago, which showcased the work of an artist who painstakingly contructed pictures from feathers he (I think he) found, with quite stunning results.

I've tried to find something on the web, but although I came up with many related subjects, including painting on feathers and painting with feathers, I've drawn a blank.

Anyone else know what I'm on about, and can point me in the right direction?

Hi Birdman,
Havn't got the slightest clue about where to start finding out about this very skilled and time consuming technique but if you find any websites on it let me know as i would like to have a read about it also. Has anyone else got any info on this subject as it would be greatly apreciated.
Steven

I remember reading an article about someone who painted bird pictures and instead of using a brush used a feather from the bird illustrated.I'm sure the article was in one of the birding magazines but I can't remember which one.Perhaps if someone has back copies they may be able to help.

Geoff Pain said:
I remember reading an article about someone who painted bird pictures and instead of using a brush used a feather from the bird illustrated.I'm sure the article was in one of the birding magazines but I can't remember which one.Perhaps if someone has back copies they may be able to help.

Colin woolf http://www.wildart.co.uk/colinwoolf/newwork.htm has painted woodcock using woodcock pin feathers. It's a very painstaking process apparently popular amongst victorians. When the painting is finished he frames the feather alongside the pic, nice touch I think.

As to art made with feathers, I've not seen it apart from in Chinese takeaways! Perhaps there is a Chinese connection?

There is an artist that uses 'humanely harvested pet hair' to create wildlife art but that's another story!

Woody

birdman said:
I have been reminded of a news article I saw in the UK a few years ago, which showcased the work of an artist who painstakingly contructed pictures from feathers he (I think he) found, with quite stunning results.

I've tried to find something on the web, but although I came up with many related subjects, including painting on feathers and painting with feathers, I've drawn a blank.

I read from an earlier post that you dislike zoos, however a few years ago while on holiday in Norfolk, I visited Pettits at Reedham, where they had some astounding feathercraft items including pictures.

I have searched, but they don't appear to have a web site, dispite being one of Norfolks top attractions.

Hi Birdman, maybe you mean Sonia Wentser?

I found this site:

http://www.plumaria.ca/histo.html#TECHNIQUE

By replacing oil paint or water-color by feathers Sonia Wentser has to create the effect of paintbrush stroke. Therefore she will search among hundreds of feathers before finding the proper ones which will suit her purpose.

Turkey feathers, by their straight edge will perfectly serve to illustrate masonry or roof tiles.

Feathers play with light.

Their particular way to reverberate light might totally distort part of a painting which the artist, while working on it, never noticed.
An absolute rule to follow if working with feathers: always look at the painting in different light situations.

To create transparency and give lightness to a painting, Sonia Wentser has to deal with feather's density.Therefore she might use a feather which she covers partially with another one or few hairs of another feather.
Some feathers have so thin hair that they,there again, serve the purpose.

There is definetely more to Art of Feathers than simply gluing feathers on a canvas.

Sonia Wentser combines the feathers so they animate the painting by their natural movement, their magnificent colors and their "wizardly" way to play with light.
As i'm short on time right now, I haven't checked out her actual 'paintings', but from the quote it seems that she indeed uses feathers - in stead of paint - to imitate brush/painting strokes ....

Ahhh, wait , here's a link to her work
http://www.plumaria.ca/oeuvres.html

good luck,
birdyman :-D

birdyman said:
Hi Birdman, maybe you mean Sonia Wentser?
Hi birdyman,

I don't recognise the name, and I'm pretty sure the person I was thinking about was a man, and he tended to create landscapes. I have this recollection of him saying that skies are difficult, because he doesn't often find blue feathers.

However, this is exactly the type of thing I meant.

:t:

Answer to your Feather Art Questions...

birdman... My father has travelled a great deal in China in his lifetime... and he recently discovered fantastic feather art landscapings they create by hand. He had the opportunity to buy a selection to bring back to the U.S. and is now selling them to other enthusiasts across the globe. If you, or anyone else, is interested... let me know and I'll put you in touch with him. They are absolutely stunning... I can't imagine how much time and skill it must take just to do one. (After doing some research online I can confidently tell you that these pieces of artwork are much more intricate than any others I've seen. Each piece is unique and they vary in size.) If you'd like photos of some of the available pieces, I'm sure we could arrange that too. Since they are quite popular and he is running low... let me know soon if you're interested! (I hope this helps!!!) Thanks.

In response to:
birdman said:

see other post!

Steven - just wanted to guide you to see the other posting I created in response to your inquiries. Thanks!
Heather

Stonechat2 said:
Hi Birdman,
Havn't got the slightest clue about where to start finding out about this very skilled and time consuming technique but if you find any websites on it let me know as i would like to have a read about it also. Has anyone else got any info on this subject as it would be greatly apreciated.
Steven

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back