• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron C90 Mak (2 Viewers)

I picked up the C90 Mak not that long ago. I have'nt used it for terrestrial shooting just yet, but sometimes this weekend I'll be out shooting some raptors (hawks, eagles what not).

It was my impression that you want to use as little glass and such as possible, because every modification to light is less light to work with.

Right now I just got a universal 1.25" drop in T-Adapter until they get the one specifically for the back of the Celestron C90 Mak instock. But I would think that the best position for the digital camera would be directly on the back via the specific T-Adapter. Why? Because it puts the camera's sensor in direct path of the light and has one less mirror to go thru. the 90 degree you gota go thru the 45 degree mirror inside, where as the back of the scope the mirror moves out of the way and captures light from the main scope's mirror. So by placing the camera on the back of the scope with the correct T-Adapter without a lens and with/without an eyepeice I would think would give the best possible ammount of light and less chance of distortion from extra mirrors/glass.

Least I'll know for sure when I get that rear adapter from the shop, as right now I'm just using the drop in as I Said. The main thing I've tried both handheld over the scope's opening and via the T-Adapter were some lunar shots such as below

handholding the digital rebel without lens over the scope's opening without an eyepeice. (click to enlarge)
[Lunar Shot Handheld]

Then with the T-Adapter on the 90 degree side (as trying to put it on the back with the supplied prism seemed like it would be worse)
[Lunar Shot T-Mounted]

And for those who havent seen a C90 Mak (least not in some detail) before and wants to see the goods.

[C90 Mak Shots]

Last edited:
william j clive said:
I believe the Celestron C90 is a clone of the Konus MotorMax 90 to which has been added rubber armouring and waterproofing. I have a Konus with which I am pleased, as it is a dual purpose scope that can be used for birding and astronomy. I bought it used as an OTA for peanuts. It is not as bright, and has a narrow FOV compared with my Nikon 78ED, but it cost a fraction of the price of a Nikon, even at clearance prices.

Clive
Hi Clive
Just to clarify. As you may know the scope Is a Generic scope Made by one company OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers) the sold by other companys under their brand name. Others besides the one metioned which sells the same scope. Lomo. Seben and Barska If you do a search you may find more.
See my thread on the MC70 brill little scope.

Looking for a scope

Jay Turberville said:
Interesting about the Lomo 60. As my tests show, the Lomo 70 does not match the quality of the Rubinar and the Swarovski. But it is surprisingly close and I've taken some of my best shots with it. From a practical standpoint, its range is limited. This makes sense due to its limited aperture. But as you know, it is very compact and lightweight.

I also have a Lomo 95 that I didn't test but my experience says is a small notch below the Rubinar. It and the C90 probably deliver similar results. The larger aperture does matter.

I would think so. I did some research before writing the article and was surprised to find the C90 in a waterproof model. This answers one of the biggest complaints that some people have about a catadioptric.

Yes, the "you get what you pay for" is an overused maxim. All too often you pay a premium for very little benefit. And sometimes a particular design or approach can have benefits that buck the general rule. If the "you get what you pay for rule" were really true, then the concept of a bargain would be a myth (which sometimes it is). The truth is somewhere in between.

The Plossl design is an inherently well corrected design because it is symmetrical. Its biggest drawback is its limitation of a 50 degree AFOV. That's actually fine and in some way very good for digiscoping. But its on the average to narrow side for a scope. The TeleVue 32mm Plossl that I am using does have a clear edge over the low priced Plossls that came with my scopes. So to does the 50mm military surplus Plossl that I used with my Lomo 95.

I find the flip mirror system very interesting. You could leave your camera permanently mounted to the 90 degree viewer and switch back and forth between an erected view. That sounds great.

I've been thinking about selling my Lomo 95 since the Rubinar makes it redundant. Maybe I will and get a C90 so that I can check it out.

I have been trying to acquire a Lomo 70. Do you know where they may be available. I'm just beginning so I look for advice and respect you posts greatly.
Did you part with you Lomo 95?
Thanks!
Jerry

william j clive said:
...the Celestron C90 is a clone of the Konus MotorMax 90 ...
Just had to comment. A friend had one of the original models of the c90 in the 1980's. It was pretty good.
The Konus, is kind of like a Chinese "clone" of a ETX (Meade) (US made) which was a clone of the Questar. The C90, came before the ETX. There is a "shoot out comparison" on the old BVD site between c90, etx90, C5, and Questar.
jay

PS:

Quality generally thought to be, (in declining order):

Questar field(1st due to mechanical, tied with ETX for optics)
ETX 90 spotter (Ties on optics with questar, but no match for it in ergonomics or ease of use)
Orion (AKA Synta/Skywatcher etc) 90mm Mak
C90: may be phased out, now.
Some Russian ones, can't remember names
Konus 90mm Mak

Celestron has revamped the C90. It no longer has the flip mirror system and is now a plain black. From latest reviews on other sites it is very good to excellent.

Rmel66.

Hello,
It is best to have the flip mirror of the early model or best without this configuration?

I would think the newest design is the best. Over the years the C90 has gone from 1000mm to 1200mm and now 1250mm focal length. It now matches the Meade ETX90 as a 90/1250mm scope. The elimination of the flip mirror removes potential image distortion from misalignment of the flip mechanism.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Bob about the ETX 90 and the flip mirror, I had to reattach the mirror in mine. It was easy, but something else to go wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back