• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

growing sunflowers (1 Viewer)

Nature__lover

Hi :)

I started about 13 Giant sunflower seeds off in pots a few weeks back, and have recently transplanted them to a bed in the garden. I noticed that there where a few spindly ones that were getting crowded by the strong ones (and they had a few brown leaves?), because I'd accidently planted them too close together as seeds. I had to pull the little ones out to leave the stronger ones room to grow.
I hope this was the right thing to do? (I actually feel a bit mean.. yes I'm a serious softy )
and another question- when do sunflower plants need staking? and how can I ensure they grow well? I've never grown sunflowers before.

If you've not grown them before, do take care if you are an allergy sufferer- or anyone in the family. We grew them last year for the first time (admittedly right by a path so I constantly passed them), and I ended up with severe dermatitis, and am now allergic to quite a few other plants as well! Glovers and long sleeves for all gardening now!

If you've not grown them before, do take care if you are an allergy sufferer- or anyone in the family. We grew them last year for the first time (admittedly right by a path so I constantly passed them), and I ended up with severe dermatitis, and am now allergic to quite a few other plants as well! Glovers and long sleeves for all gardening now!

thanks for the tip, I will bear that in mind. I have a bit of hay fever but not sure about sunflowers in particular.

My brother in law plants quite a large area for wildlife and he puts in many rows of sunflower for feed for the birds. He naturally does not stake them and they grow quite well. the birds love them in the late summer and fall.

1. Yes, it was the right thing to do, to take out the weaker seedlings.

2. It depends on the variety of sunflower, but I have found they tend to need staking once they get to about 4-5 feet. You will notice that they are starting to get floppy and need help!

We have a sister site - Gardener's Forums which you may find helpful and interesting.

Where I live in Ireland it is nearly always breezy especially as I live on a hill. I grow a lot of sunflowers. The soil in my garden isn't brilliant in parts and is generally quite shallow. So I find staking these plants is a must otherwise they just get blown over. You will find some foliage becoming brown or scorched looking. This can be removed. Also sunflowers are prone to mildew especially in warm damp conditions.
That said they are a great addition to the wildlife garden.

Si.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back