Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 26th June 2011, 17:17   #1
Vivian Darkbloom

Gitzo launches new Safari range

Hi,
Looks interesting if expensive; anyone any experience of this new setup?
I'm looking for a lightweight tripod and fluid head.
Old Monday 4th July 2011, 17:16   #2
Steve Dudley
aka The Toadsnatcher

No sorry, and with it being a 4-leg section tripod I wont be looking at it either. If Gitzo had really done their research and aimed this at birdwatchers as their blurb suggests, I dont know who they asked as I dont know any birders who use 4-leg section tripods.

I love Gitzo tripods, I just dont get on with their twist locks, but I've used their G2180 head for some years. The Safari head looks very interesting but as far as I can see, it isnt a fluid head (unlike the G2180 I use).

BF Supporter 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th July 2011, 18:11   #3
SEOW

Don't know about the legs, but the two heads appear to be identical to the GH1720QR and GH2720QR, except that they are colored green instead of "noir decor".

Though I recognize the needs of digiscopers are somewhat different than those who are using a scope just for observing, Henry Link reviewed the GH2720QR in this thread in the Spotting Scopes & Tripod/Heads section:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=175425
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: