• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Transition season (1 Viewer)

Hamhed

FOS Blue-headed Vireo singing here this morning. Woodcocks calling last week but not last night. Their display season at this elevation (2000 ft) may be over.
Field Sparrows and Brown Thrashers now singing and a Grouse has been drumming during the morning hours for just over a week. Winter birds, like Golden-crowned Kinglets, Juncos, White-throated Sparrows and Yellow-throated Warblers still here.
Snakes and frogs are active and a fairly large Snapping Turtle was seen in our bottom land, no doubt trying to find our pond.

Steve
Western North Carolina

Took a break to get a tooth pulled! |=(|
I spooked a couple of Bobwhites this morning in our bottomland and heard them calling later. Five Turkeys on hillside also gobbling and tearing up the forest floor. The Grouse is still drumming; a half-dozen each Purple Finches and Siskins at the sunflower feeders. One rough looking Hermit Thrush was down by the barn. I wonder if they molt this time of year? Song Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers have disappeared.
The 17 degree temps we had over the weekend didn't seem to hurt the flowering spicebushes. They are a fall crop in our yard the migrating thrushes seem to depend on.

Yes, a slow moving forum for sure, David. So many US states have their own individual listservs but I like the idea of a common ground where all 50 states can post.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back