• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Adult bird acting like still in nest? (1 Viewer)

Scottydiz

Good day! First post, from north central Texas. We have (finally) moved out of the Dallas area to a small part of heaven. Plenty of cardinals, wrens, and sparrows to keep our attention!

There is a crested titmouse (of several pairs in the area) that acts oddly, at least to this amateur. It is male, and fully grown. But it approaches our feeder fluffing its feathers busily, ruffling its wings, and chitters - beak open as in "feed me". One and just one (best I can tell) of the male Cardinals does just that! The feather fluffing and wing jittering is not offensive but to me looks very weak and submissive.

Is this bird ill? Or just thinks it's on welfare? Any insights as to this behavior?

Thanks to all for any answers!

Female birds do carry out "begging" behavior too when a pair are bonding. However, I wonder if your adult looking bird is actually an immature bird. I'm not sure with titmice if the youngster looks very different from the adult... and males and females aren't really distinguishable as far as I know. I believe that young birds will keep begging until the adults are determined not to feed them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back