• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of Prey in London,UK (1 Viewer)

Malachi1

I was in Regents Park,London,UK on the 18.05.17 and noticed this bird of prey several hundred metres in the sky coming from north heading south east. It was hard to make out but I was lucky enough to manage to take some shots before it vanished into the clouds. Initially I was quite sure that it was a Hobby due to the long tail and swift like appearance in one of the shots. Upon closer inspection I noticed its tail was more triangular than anything and its wings quite rounded. It was hard to make out colour but appeared to be a light brown and it also circled several times before soaring off. Especially due to the time of year I was hoping it may be a Lesser Kestrel. I don't think any have been reported here before but have been reported around the nearby Hamstead Heath area previously. I have attached multiple photographs to assist in identification. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
Malachi

Attachments

• 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 54
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 52
Last three are common kestrel. 2nd looks more like sparrowhawk. Are you sure they are all the same bird?

A Sparrowhawk had passed by roughly 30 metres high whilst this bird was soaring high in the sky. However none of these photographs are of the Sparrowhawk as I photographed it seperately. I had followed the bird with my eyes through the sky and I am quite sure all photographs are of the same bird. As seen in the 4th attachment? It looked very Hobby like. The way it differs in appearance is what made me question its identity

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back