• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 12x36 IS III eyecups (1 Viewer)

The-Wanderer

I went to try a sample of the above referenced bin at a store today to check if the eye relief was enough. It was close but not enough.

The eye cups comprise two rubber protectors, the outer one folds back but not far enough because the inner one still protrudes, but not by much. (In the past I have improved useable eye relief by spot gluing an "O" ring to the end of the barrel of the eyepiece.)

I tried to see if the eyecups unscrewed but they did not move easily but the young assistant was looking worried so I did not persevere.

Would some one please check for me if this is possible or enquire at Birdfair and find out if spares may be purchased?

Many thanks.

I went to try a sample of the above referenced bin at a store today to check if the eye relief was enough. It was close but not enough.

The eye cups comprise two rubber protectors, the outer one folds back but not far enough because the inner one still protrudes, but not by much. (In the past I have improved useable eye relief by spot gluing an "O" ring to the end of the barrel of the eyepiece.)

I tried to see if the eyecups unscrewed but they did not move easily but the young assistant was looking worried so I did not persevere.

Would some one please check for me if this is possible or enquire at Birdfair and find out if spares may be purchased?

Many thanks.

I had a problem with one eyecup on a 8x25 is and I contacted Canon for a replacement. They put me in touch with a stockist in Stoke area, but I can't remember who it was. Anyway replacement eyecups are available.

From what I can remember they were held on with an adhesive but the eyecup did come off. I replaced it with the new one without adhesive and it has remained in place for over 3 years. Do remember that they are handed with the right hand one having dioptre markings.

However if you are physically attempting to reduce the eye relief you have a problem with the 12x36 is III. If you put a straightedge across the folded down eyecup the distance between the centre of the convex eyepiece and the straightedge is VERY limited. I didn't want to try using a micrometer in case I damaged the lens but a good indication is that there is only room for 2 sheets of 80g/m2 paper. If you reduce the eyecups in any way your glasses will hit the eyepiece lens.

I have a thin glasses which fit close to my face and my eyes are not over recessed so I have no problem with eye relief on any of the Canon range, but I can imagine that other people with a different prescription and facial feature will do.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Last edited:
Stan,

Thank you:

"However if you are physically attempting to reduce the eye relief you have a problem with the 12x36 is III. If you put a straightedge across the folded down eyecup the distance between the centre of the convex eyepiece and the straightedge is VERY limited. I didn't want to try using a micrometer in case I damaged the lens but a good indication is that there is only room for 2 sheets of 80g/m2 paper. If you reduce the eyecups in any way your glasses will hit the eyepiece lens."

not what I wanted to hear but am grateful that I know. I now need to contemplate whether to put up with the loss of FOV.

I did not have long to check it out but with the outer rim folded back I did see some kidney beaning, which I did not expect since I saw a narrower FOV than when I viewed without my high prescription spectacles.

Stan,

Thank you:

"However if you are physically attempting to reduce the eye relief you have a problem with the 12x36 is III. If you put a straightedge across the folded down eyecup the distance between the centre of the convex eyepiece and the straightedge is VERY limited. I didn't want to try using a micrometer in case I damaged the lens but a good indication is that there is only room for 2 sheets of 80g/m2 paper. If you reduce the eyecups in any way your glasses will hit the eyepiece lens."

not what I wanted to hear but am grateful that I know. I now need to contemplate whether to put up with the loss of FOV.

I did not have long to check it out but with the outer rim folded back I did see some kidney beaning, which I did not expect since I saw a narrower FOV than when I viewed without my high prescription spectacles.

Canon IS binoculars are sometimes prone to kidney bean effect like the Nikon SE's and both can often be cured or at least reduced by careful IPD adjustment. It has been suggested before (Kimmo ?) that you can carry a homemade spacer so that you can adjust the IPD accurately whenever you need to.

Keep trying they are worth the effort

Stan

Last edited:
Stan,

You really are being very helpful. I did not know when I posted my OP that a new model was on its way. The possibility that I might therefore buy a reduced price model before long, or a used one from a BFer, seems a way to reduce the likelihood of impact of accepting a less than optimal view.

If anyone is contemplating selling his/hers, please PM me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back