• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

In Palau. Are they all same species? (stint? sandpiper?) (1 Viewer)

Daisuke

Hi! I am not sure about these birds.
I guess they are Long-toed Stint or Pectoral Sandpiper or Sharp-tailed Sandpiper. Could anyone help me? Thank you!

These pictures were taken on October 28, 2017 in Koror, Republic of Palau.

Attachments

• 1_DSC_0370_crop.jpg
    1_DSC_0370_crop.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 3_DSC_0435_crop.jpg
    3_DSC_0435_crop.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 2_DSC_0405_crop.jpg
    2_DSC_0405_crop.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 4_DSC_0439_crop.jpg
    4_DSC_0439_crop.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 58
  • 6_DSC_0542_crop.jpg
    6_DSC_0542_crop.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 75
Too long-billed for Long-toed. 1-4 Pectoral - note completely streaked breast and sharp border to belly. 5 is a Sharp-tailed - largely unstreaked buff breast and read cap.

Hi,

they are all Pectorals exept the last one which is a Sharp tailed Sandpiper. Nice pic!

JanJ

Hi all,
dismissing red caps and strongly demarcated pectoral bands for one moment. 1-4 may be worn adult winter, sharp-tailed sandpipers with #5 being a first year bird. The underparts are not densely streaked and they have pale superciliums. Even the bill would appear all dark at any distance with just a pale olive base.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back