• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From the sketchbook... (1 Viewer)

Phils comment made me see something I might have missed, and these look for some reason Art Deco to me, the design being the strong element....very nice work.

Lars Jonnson Exhibition

My second visit to the exhibition today, running in Kulturshuset in the centre of Stockholm, a joint exhibition with swedish photographer, Brutus Ostling, whose photos were superb. Was kindly allowed permission to take a few photos whilst there for the blog.
Jonnsons work is quite wonderful to behold when in front of you, all work here is watercolour and painted in the field, often on a large scale. Eiders predominate here, with many wildfowl and waders also depicted. A quite incredible watercolour depicts a female Sparrowhawk chasing a male Greenfinch, whilst a sun bathing Buzzard atop a birch also left me gawping.
The wall of large Gull studies beggars belief, the highlight for me. For anyone with an interest in the large gulls, their sub species and identification, an absolute must see. An example of art becoming a scientific tool with regard to identification and separation....
A most inspiring experience, the show runs right through August....

Attachments

• Gull wall.jpg
    Gull wall.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 67
  • LJ2.jpg
    LJ2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 72
  • LJ 1.jpg
    LJ 1.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
thanks so much for sharing these.....they are in his books but your photos give a sense of scale to them that is lovely and seeing them in RL must really add a lot..

thanks so much for sharing these.....they are in his books but your photos give a sense of scale to them that is lovely and seeing them in RL must really add a lot..

Thanks from here as well. It's a real treat to see them in an actual environment. Must have been a real treat for you as well!!

Alan,

Had the chance to get up close to Lars' work last Winter at Slimbridge. He certainly "takes no prisoners..."

I learnt much from being close to it. Powerful stuff. But was delighted by its raw simplicity.

Looking forward to more of yours!

That must've been a total treat. I guess it's one of those things you come out of either thinking, 'I give up' or 'I'm going to get my brushes out and paint!'

I hope you came out thinking the latter!

Mike

that Lars! He uses the same size stuff as me and here's me thinking I'm painting too BIG! (Unless you're Leprechaun-sized Alan!) There really is magic when in front of Lars' work.

Had a computer whizz mate over to sort out my PC, happily my computer is debugged after the virus off Fatbirder seized it up...

Off to a little island way north in the baltic sea called Hällogern which Linda's mother happens to have a summerhouse on, been there before, it's a treat. Lots of good summer stuff like breeding Velvet Scoters, this time I have gone the whole hog. Raided the art store today, new watercolours, pencils, Watercolour paper and a new A4 sketchpad, intend 5 days solid sketching and have forced myself to leave the fishing rods at home. This folks, if I'm honest, is tremendously difficult for me, as the fishing is superb there too...

Little link to the blog, the last time I went it was August, so we shall see what happens, though I am rather hoping for lots of Wood Sandpipers this time around. Will post the results in a week or so..Ta Rah!

http://blogbirder.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_archive.html

Raided the art store today, new watercolours, pencils, Watercolour paper and a new A4 sketchpad, intend 5 days solid sketching and have forced myself to leave the fishing rods at home. This folks, if I'm honest, is tremendously difficult for me, as the fishing is superb there too...
well done and good luck- feel that peer pressure from on here to sketch and not be sidetracked by other doings: DSLRs [and I guess fishing rods] are those friends you have to treat as enemies

it is a bit obvious to ask I guess- but did you read Fishing in Utopia?

it is a bit obvious to ask I guess- but did you read Fishing in Utopia?[/QUOTE]

Never Ed, though am aware of it, I'll check it out. Pressure acknowledged...;)

Hällogårn

Just back from the island and it's been great. Weather bad the first day until the evening, also the last day of five spent there, though still managed to almost fill a new A4 sketchbook. Bar a week on a well known tern colony off the coast in Dublin, this ranks as the most prolific period of field sketching to date for me. Warts and all here is the lot....

Goosander young uns, Scaup eclipse male as it turned out, not an adult female, Common Trens...

Attachments

• DSC_4438.jpg
    DSC_4438.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_4439.jpg
    DSC_4439.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC_4441.jpg
    DSC_4441.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_4449.jpg
    DSC_4449.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
The next lot, still day one...

Greenshanks, Common Tern Juv, Goosander squaw, B H Gull juv.

Attachments

• DSC_4450.jpg
    DSC_4450.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4451.jpg
    DSC_4451.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4452.jpg
    DSC_4452.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_4453.jpg
    DSC_4453.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
And more...

b Head juv, Tufted Duck, B H Gull juv and exploding Greenshank...

Attachments

• DSC_4454.jpg
    DSC_4454.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_4455.jpg
    DSC_4455.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_4456.jpg
    DSC_4456.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_4457.jpg
    DSC_4457.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Still more....

Common Tern, Sawbill juv's, the stars of the show, Common Gull adult, Oystercathcer...

Attachments

• DSC_4458.jpg
    DSC_4458.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4459.jpg
    DSC_4459.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC_4460.jpg
    DSC_4460.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_4462.jpg
    DSC_4462.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The next batch...

Oystercatchers again, adult Common Tern and Common juv's in habitat...

Attachments

• DSC_4463.jpg
    DSC_4463.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC_4464.jpg
    DSC_4464.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_4465.jpg
    DSC_4465.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_4466.jpg
    DSC_4466.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Here we have...

White Wagtail, Common Tern ad., Caspian Tern ad, 3 and 4...

Attachments

• DSC_4467.jpg
    DSC_4467.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_4468.jpg
    DSC_4468.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_4469.jpg
    DSC_4469.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_4470.jpg
    DSC_4470.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Next lot...

all Curlew, not a bird I get to see well in Stockholm....

Attachments

• DSC_4471.jpg
    DSC_4471.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC_4472.jpg
    DSC_4472.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC_4473.jpg
    DSC_4473.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_4475.jpg
    DSC_4475.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back