• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 10x42 EL (1 Viewer)

breydon

WARNING Leica Holic on the Swarovski Thread. Hi all. Just a quick message from a self confessed Leica binocular holic owning four pairs a 7x42 BN 7x42 Ultravid HD a 10x42 HD and a 8x32 BN. So you could say I am a little red badge man. got offered a pair of Swarovski 10x42 ELs for a good price by a work mate who needed some quick money. So me being some one who counts how many Swarovski's you see round peoples necks when out birding {33 the last time we went to Titchwell } You know the saying the man in the RSPB shop says all bird watchers use these as he takes the best part 2k of them with a smile. Sorry for the whaffle on. Any way getting to the point They are simply superb what a view they must be the best 10x binocular ever made. A pleasure to look through and use as much to say I am selling the 10x42 HD ultravid to cover the cost. The Leica 7x42 HD is a brilliant bin but the 10x42 comes no were near the ELs sorry to say. Very happy to own a pair :t:

WARNING Leica Holic on the Swarovski Thread. Hi all. Just a quick message from a self confessed Leica binocular holic owning four pairs a 7x42 BN 7x42 Ultravid HD a 10x42 HD and a 8x32 BN. So you could say I am a little red badge man. got offered a pair of Swarovski 10x42 ELs for a good price by a work mate who needed some quick money. So me being some one who counts how many Swarovski's you see round peoples necks when out birding {33 the last time we went to Titchwell } You know the saying the man in the RSPB shop says all bird watchers use these as he takes the best part 2k of them with a smile. Sorry for the whaffle on. Any way getting to the point They are simply superb what a view they must be the best 10x binocular ever made. A pleasure to look through and use as much to say I am selling the 10x42 HD ultravid to cover the cost. The Leica 7x42 HD is a brilliant bin but the 10x42 comes no were near the ELs sorry to say. Very happy to own a pair :t:

Great post Breydon...Enjoy the 10x42 SV's & "Welcome to THE FORCE"! :king:

Ted

Hi Breydon,

Congrats on your new purchase. I also have a 7x42 Ultravid (the Plus version) and just love it. I'm a "fan" of Leica bins too. The EL SV's are great and I've always admired the little 8x32.

I'm hunting (but it's not urgent) for a good 10x and have been for a long time on and off. I just haven't purchased one yet. It's been difficult to find a suitable 10x for me and it's probably due to my preference for lower power bins and the benefits they offer.

I really liked the Zeiss SF 10x42 I tried the best. I was also impressed with a Nikon SE Porro, but it was too bulky in my hands. I don't want to spend on a top tier bino for 10x, so I'm going to try the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 soon. It checks a lot of boxes for me, so I hope it goes OK. I think 7x and 10x will be a useful combo. Of course, the 7x will still be my primary, but 10x for open spaces.

Enjoy your new EL !

Last edited:

Congrats on your new SV! Variety is the spice of life! You have a nice group of binoculars!

Hi Breydon,

Congrats on your new purchase. I also have a 7x42 Ultravid (the Plus version) and just love it. I'm a "fan" of Leica bins too. The EL SV's are great and I've always admired the little 8x32.

I'm hunting (but it's not urgent) for a good 10x and have been for a long time on and off. I just haven't purchased one yet. It's been difficult to find a suitable 10x for me and it's probably due to my preference for lower power bins and the benefits they offer.

I really liked the Zeiss SF 10x42 I tried the best. I was also impressed with a Nikon SE Porro, but it was too bulky in my hands. I don't want to spend on a top tier bino for 10x, so I'm going to try the Nikon Monarch HG 10x42 soon. It checks a lot of boxes for me, so I hope it goes OK. I think 7x and 10x will be a useful combo. Of course, the 7x will still be my primary, but 10x for open spaces.

Enjoy your new EL !

Hi. Your right about the 7x42 Brilliant to use with the depth of field with that walk in view and hardly any need to focus it. I was always a Zeiss or Leica man. Still have a 7x42 BGAT now that's a binocular

Great post Breydon...Enjoy the 10x42 SV's & "Welcome to THE FORCE"! :king:

Ted
Had a lot of binoculars over a number of years {40 or more }The only one I would never sell on is a Zeiss 7x42 BGAT T&P Classic is not the word. Sure this Swarvo will keep it company ;)

Glad you like them, the SV is the benchmark now all others are measured by.

Used to be the benchmark John, they used to be, but then along came SF and then Noctivid and SV is starting to look so, yesteryear....

Just joking, John and Breydon. Terrific bins.

Lee

Used to be the benchmark John, they used to be, but then along came SF and then Noctivid and SV is starting to look so, yesteryear....

Lee

Will have to wait a few years before them Nocivids come up second hand on the Bay this side of a thousand bills ;)

Lee

Don`t forget the Toric ! :-O

I would`nt suggest the SF or NV are`nt actually a bit further along the mark on the bench, but they all get their performance judged by the SV IMHO.

I still hold the HT / SLC out as my benchmarks for image quality - and that's up against most of the best glass out there.

James .... Which version of the Swaro SLC are you holding out as your benchmark? I am assuming the prior SLC WB HD and/or possibly the current SLC WB. Do your benchmarks include both the 8X and 10X or just one of those?

Thanks.

Hi. Your right about the 7x42 Brilliant to use with the depth of field with that walk in view and hardly any need to focus it. I was always a Zeiss or Leica man. Still have a 7x42 BGAT now that's a binocular

I tried a 7x42 Dialyt briefly for the first time a few months ago and loved it !
I happened to see another birder with one and got to chatting with her about it and she allowed me to have a look. I loved the feel of it and the view was great.

James .... Which version of the Swaro SLC are you holding out as your benchmark? I am assuming the prior SLC WB HD and/or possibly the current SLC WB. Do your benchmarks include both the 8X and 10X or just one of those?

Thanks.

Bruce,

I've only ever tried the 1st gen. SLC HD 8x42. At the time, it was the finest roof I'd ever used. I would put the HT on the same level, with a few entirely personal attributes that push it to the top for me - transmission, glare control, pop / sparkle / transparency - mostly 'je ne sais pas' stuff.

Those were the days! I aspired to a pair 31years ago. John Gooders was the advertising personality.

Tony Soper for me { Go Birding on the BBC } Still with us I think must be eighty something now.I had a pair of Ross 9x35 back then the same binoculars the late Richard Richardson used

I still hold the HT / SLC out as my benchmarks for image quality - and that's up against most of the best glass out there.

Thanks.
Bruce,

I've only ever tried the 1st gen. SLC HD 8x42. At the time, it was the finest roof I'd ever used. I would put the HT on the same level, with a few entirely personal attributes that push it to the top for me - transmission, glare control, pop / sparkle / transparency - mostly 'je ne sais pas' stuff.

James/Bruce, could you please excuse my memory and further explain "1st gen. SLC HD 8x42"? Roughly when was it introduced? Or a photo would be perfect. Could you/anyone also please remind me, what was the first* Swaro roof-prism model called, which was introduced in the 1990s*, and was being made* when they added the double-hinge model? *As I remember. While we are at it, what was that first double-hinge model (forerunner to the present Swarovision) called? Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back