• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glaucous Gull (1 Viewer)

Alex_HJ

Having never seen a Glaucous Gull, i got the opportunity today to go catch up with a 3rd winter bird not far from where i was working. The bird was showing very well, but what struck me was the size comparision between itself and the more familiar herring gulls.

Through dodging the heavy showers and battling against the high winds, i managed to get a record shot atleast shown here:
http://www.birdingnorthwales.blogspot.com/

Also more info if anyone is interested on visiting the site. The bird has been present a few days atleast! This came just days after seeing the Bonaparte's Gull at Traeth Lliwgy

Cheers, Alex

That bird looks beautiful! I hope I see a Glaucous this year. Are there any in the North West?

There was one at Sandbach Flashes in cheshire but i haven't heard any news on that bird for a few days. Richmond Bank is usually a good site for them this time of year, although you've got the job of searching through hundreds of gulls to try and single one out!

Cheers, Alex

There was one at Sandbach Flashes in cheshire but i haven't heard any news on that bird for a few days. Richmond Bank is usually a good site for them this time of year, although you've got the job of searching through hundreds of gulls to try and single one out!

Cheers, Alex

Sandbach Flashes and Richmond Bank both have been hosting birds recently. Peak time is March/early April.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back