• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Loch Garten experience. (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

The Loch Garten Experience.

Hello again everyone,

I hope you are all rested after the weekend and that you are now ready for the next leg of our Highland adventures?................

...................We set off early on the long journey from Fort William to Loch Garten by way of a tourist scenic route via the A86 and then A9 to Aviemore and the Cairngorm National Park.The scenery was absolutely stunning and we had frequent stops as we just couldn't drive past such beauty without pausing to get our breath and just admire! (pic 1) We hung around here for quite a while as I was sure I could hear Crested Tits but no matter how we tried we just couldn't see any!

Eventually we arrived at RSPB Loch Garten and made our way to the Osprey hide where as soon as we entered were greeted by the excited wardens asking us if we wanted to see the Ospreys or the Capercaille first!!! We didn't know which way to turn so Howard rushed to one scope and me to another and then we swapped over!! lol!! We needn't have hurried though as all the birds were easily viewed in fact the Capercaille didn't move much at all the whole time we were there......a "sedentary bird" is a very good description!! lol!! We never expected to see a Capercaille as most folk there had been up since 4am to spot him and we just strolled in mid-morning and there he was!!! lol!!! The view of him was never brilliant but every now and then the gentle breeze would ruffle and lift his bushy neck feathers and then he would turn and we'd get a glimpse of his impressive huge straw white bill and vivid bright red eyelid......a brilliant bird indeed!!!

The Ospreys were equally awesome and absorbing,their shear size being the most obvious first impression.We actually saw them mating on the nest which was a real bonus and have since learnt that the female (EJ) has re-laid 2 more eggs after Henry (male) had jealously booted the first lot out of the nest completely!!

The staff there were wonderful and I can't praise them enough for their help in locating the birds and their enthusiastic commentaries on the on/off romance story of EJ and Henry! (pic2) The depth of their knowledge was immense and to be very much admired and appreciated.!

We reluctantly left the hide to walk around the many footpaths of the reserve and soon came across this little chap (pic 3) helping himself to the bird nuts at the forest feeding station.....I've seen Red Squirrels before but am always amazed at just how small they are! After this one we saw at least another 6/7 so they do seem to be doing well throughout this area.

On the stunningly beautiful Loch itself (pic 4) we saw a wonderful male Goldeneye his brilliant white colours shining in the sunshine,also here were a pair of courting Wigeon and numerous Common Sandpipers noisily flying from stone to stone as we disturbed them as we walked by. We were still searching for Crested Tits and Crossbills but eventually had to concede defeat and move on as time was going quickly and we wanted to visit the city of Inverness while we were in the area......(and after 10 days in the Highlands I was in dire need of a M&S fix!!!!!! lol!!!)

We travelled back from Inverness on the A82 down the whole length of the west side of Loch Ness and never once caught a glimpse of Nessie!! lol!!! We did stop (along with the Americans and the Japanese!) to take a pic of this stunning piece of architecture,Urquhart Castle ....looks grand doesn't it? (pic 5)

We arrived back very late and tired but totally in awe of all we'd seen and thrilled with the whole experience of Loch Garten and all it's inhabitants....... a truly amazing "must visit" place that we both recommend wholeheartedly!

Best wishes,

Attachments

• waterfall.jpg
    waterfall.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 25
  • male Osprey 3 zoomedX4.jpg
    male Osprey 3 zoomedX4.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Red Squirel 2.jpg
    Red Squirel 2.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Pines @ Loch Garten.jpg
    Pines @ Loch Garten.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Urquhart castle,L.jpg
    Urquhart castle,L.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 26
Beautiful pictures Ruth. I'm glad you had such a great trip. You certainly packed a lot in didn't you. A distant relative of mine lives in Dores right on the banks of Loch Ness and I think its about time I paid her a visit again.

Hi Ruth,

Ah yes, it's a stunning place to spend a Holiday isn't it, especially if the weather is kind. Great set of photos, especially the 'moody' one of the Loch.

Well done and lucky to see a Caper, they are much more difficult now than when we used to go back in the 1980s I'm told. Surprised that you didn't 'get' Crested Tit though, they used to be around the Loch Garten area; Scottish Xbills were always a bit more tricky and you have to be careful with your ident because there are Commons around too.

Good place for retail Therapy is Inverness.

Any more photos?

Bill.

Oh Ruth! I've needed a vacation! Thanks so much for taking me along!

Beautiful pictures and an equally beautifully written travelogue.

Lydia

Great Ruth. Well done with the Capper.' Mind you if you were not up at 4.00am I think it should only count as half a tick.|:d|

When I was up there last year I only found one Crested Tit, not that far from the Osprey viewing centre. Other times I have been there and there have been quite a few. Matter of luck I supose as I remember Ian Forrest seeing lots on a walk, then I did the walk the following day and found none!

Nice pics too, but dare I say only a woman could go to that area and then look for M+S!!! lol:'D

take care
Brian

Nice report Ruth. like you say the scenery is stunning. I was admiring it and missed the A86 at Spean Bridge and finished up going via Inverness. I was also one of those that got up at 4am for the Capercaille, Saw the tail feathers before being rushed out ready for the next 15 people to come in. I must agree with you Scotland is a beautiful country.

Hi Ruth,
Sounds a great place to visit, being in beautiful surroundings does help if you dont get to see your target bird. The Osprey & Capercaille must have been a treat. I love the Red Sq, how cute, it' great to know they seem to be doing well in that area.
Lovely report & great pics Ruth.

Oh Ruth!!, you can't imagine how difficult it is for me to resist having a play with your shot of Loch ness in my edit programme teehee!!

A great read, and pics:clap:

Matt

A most enjoyable read Ruth,thank you! Super photos too! Especially the Loch and Castle, so atmospheric:clap:

Is M&S in Inverness any different to ours down here Ruth?, just curious ( as we ladies are|;| )o:D

Thanks again Ruth:clap:

Lovely reading Ruth. Well done and thanks for sharing the 'diary' and pics :clap:

Is M&S in Inverness any different to ours down here Ruth?, just curious ( as we ladies are|;| )o:D
LOL!! No just the same.....in fact it was having a re-vamp just like ours did a while ago!:t:

Thanks to you all for your replies.....(go ahead Matt and put me a monster in the pic!!!:eek!: ).....there's another final thread with more pics to come towards the end of the week.
Best wishes to all,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back