• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A varied diet (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Back on the 12st inst I posted a thread about 'A change of diet' , and Kits asked me was there anything for pudding?

Well it's taken a few days to get decent photos but here's the answer.

Now the 'basic' diet for my Thrushes and Finches etc is Supermarket Sultana Scones, with a few added well-soaked Sultanas. The 'change' was of course worms. The 'pudding' is a choice of fruit and/or cheese (grated Mild White, I can't rise to Stilton or Camembert I'm afraid). Similarly I haven't got around to offering After-Dinner Mints.

Bill.

Attachments

• DS s thrush with scone 090507 .jpg
    DS s thrush with scone 090507 .jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DS blackbird m with worms 150507 .jpg
    DS blackbird m with worms 150507 .jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DS s thrush with grape 210507 .jpg
    DS s thrush with grape 210507 .jpg
    294 KB · Views: 21
  • DS blackbird m with pear 220507 .jpg
    DS blackbird m with pear 220507 .jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DS blackbird f with cheese 210507 .jpg
    DS blackbird f with cheese 210507 .jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 20
Oh Bill, you remembered! Lovely pics, and I am glad you offer a choice of puddings!

Hmmmm. I had heard that cheese cannot be digested by birds, or is that only true for parrots?

Forget-me-not seeds are *the* most sought after food for our mourning Doves. Each flower yields 4 glossy black seeds. This keeps our daughter happily busy as she harvests the ripened seeds. We also soak dried dog or cat food until it is soft and that is very popular with the Jays, Grackles, Starlings, Sparrows and Robins. All of these also love chopped grapes.

Scones? The Black-capped Chickadees favourite!

Very nice photographs of your customers too!

Lydia

Oh dear, Bill, I just can't resist it! o:D

What about MILLET, then ???

I just can't understand why your Spadgers and Greenfinches won't eat it... it's the nec plus ultra (that's CAVIAR to us) of our Belgian counterparts... of course, sur le Continent, the birds probably have more sophisticated palates than in your neck of the woods, eh? :cool:

Exits hurriedly stage left, strewing MILLET gaily on her way... :D

P.S. Love anyway - Chanteuse

Aww excellent pics Bill & so funny.
The Blackie in pic2 must have been ravenous! Bless.

I must say, you are an great host, we all know where to come for "high tea" this summer.
(dont forget I've got your address) LOL! :girl:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back