• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

large black bird with red breast and yellow beak USA (1 Viewer)

KTown919

I saw the strangest bird today in my backyard. I live in Santa Clara, CA in the USA. It landed on the pole lines. At first I thought it was a hawk because of it's size. It was the size of a crow or a red tailed hawk. But as I grabbed my binoculars I realized it was definitely not a hawk. I would guess it was 20" long, it was mostly black with a red breast and had a yellow straight beak and large pronounced black eyes. It spent some of it's time standing on one leg and was preening itself. I am totally puzzled. Looked all through my bird book and it doesn't look like anything. Please help me figure out what this bird is.

No it wasn't a green heron. It's body type was more similar to a crow. But it acted more like a pigeon or dove just giant sized. It is the strangest thing. I am thinking it might be some type of exotic bird that escaped from the home of the person that was raising it????

It sounds a bit like a Yellow-billed Magpie except for the red. They live in Alum Rock Park at least, so it would be conceivable (if unusual) for it to wander to Santa Clara.

I checked out some pictures of the yellow billed magpie and that doesn't look like it either. It had a shorter tail. Its body was like a crow with a short tail and the head was closer to a gulls. So strange.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back