• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest 'Rage' (1 Viewer)

Merlin

After birding more decades than I would care to admit (Please note I did start very young). I have come across so many birds involved in seemingly extreme physical violent behaviour more than ever before. Blackbirds especially but also chaffinch, pied wag. and even bullfinch. Is it me or is there really a noticeable change in behaviour? Or is just the normal eternal triangle??

Merlin

After birding more decades than I would care to admit (Please note I did start very young). I have come across so many birds involved in seemingly extreme physical violent behaviour more than ever before. Blackbirds especially but also chaffinch, pied wag. and even bullfinch. Is it me or is there really a noticeable change in behaviour? Or is just the normal eternal triangle??

Merlin

Hello Merlin,

Perhaps you are observing more, today, than before, or your powers of observation have improved. Watching birds in nature and their behaviour may have have become a greater part of your pastime.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

A pink and fluffy view of the world is nonsense, that's all. Just remember that bird song has two main messages for other birds:

1. Hey ladies come and get it
2. Come over here if you think you're hard enough!

Sex and violence - its a jungle out there

John

Perhaps you notice the birds doing this more becuase there are more of them about? If that's the case, then there'd be more pressure on nesting sites, food, etc and therefore more punch-ups.
At a guess, anyway...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back