• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

300 f/2.8 plus 2x teleconverter (1 Viewer)

CCRII

With the teleconverter this would make the lens a 500mm and what f stop?

Is this probably the next best upgrade from the 100-400 canon EF IS USM lens?

I am not above using Sigma if their is a comparable sigma? It seems like sigma either has OS and regular speed auto focus, or HSM and no IS though in their lenses.

Thanks.

It would make it a 600mm (2 x 300... ;) ) f5.6 (2 stops because of the 2x).

Is it the best upgrade? Depends what you want. A hand-holdable lens with faster AF and more reach...then maybe yes. Best quality at 500mm or greater on a tripod? Probably not.

Sigma do a 300/2.8 but it does not have IS - so maybe not so useful for handholding.

I've thought about the 300 f/2.8 and TCs (either a 2x, or maybe stacked 1.4s) as my next upgrade for quite a while, but I'm starting to entertain the 400mm DO with a single 1.4 instead.

It's much lighter than the 300, still gets me to 560mm, and - because xxD bodies will work with either of these lenses and TCs without taping pins down to f/5.6 - will provide faster and more reliable AF.

They're both a hill of money though!

Last edited:
I had a look at the sigma 120-300 f2.8 a while back (apparently sharper than the 300mm according to many reviews, and with zoom flexibility) for much the same reasons - cheap(relatively!) supertelephoto work using it with a 2X TC. The lens is a monster! Not quite as big as a 500mm, but still a real handful. I'm pretty confident with handholding most of the time, but would hesitate to use this combo handheld at 600mm.

I've thought about the 300 f/2.8 and TCs (either a 2x, or maybe stacked 1.4s) as my next upgrade for quite a while, but I'm starting to entertain the 400mm DO with a single 1.4 instead.

It's much lighter than the 300, still gets me to 560mm, and - because xxD bodies will work with either of these lenses and TCs without taping pins down to f/5.6 - will provide faster and more reliable AF.

They're both a hill of money though!

Good suggestion I will look into that one.

I think you will find there are no focus limiters on sigma 300mm/120-300mm and that ought to feature in your decision.

Approx UK eBay prices (sorry I can't comment on US prices):

Canon IS 300mm f2.8 £2,400
Canon IS 400mm DO f4 £2,700
Canon IS 500mm f4 £3,450

Sigma 120-300 f2.8 £1,150
Sigma 500mm f4.5 £2,000

The Canon 300mm is widely felt to be OK for handholding but possibly not with a 2x TC. My observation from BF is that people often progress from the 100-400mm or 400mm f5.6 to a Sigma 500mm before possibly moving to a Canon 500mm f4.

Decisions decisions - lol.

Hiya,

Like Keith I have thought alot about a 300 f2.8, with T/Cs as an upgrade to 100-400.
As I do a bit of sports the 300 bare works quite well, but as already stated it will be much heavier than 100-400.

I also have the 500mm sigma f4.5, which is fantastically sharp but is also a beast of a thing and not something I would want to carry about all day. It is great though to get "that bit closer".

I think it is really difficult to balance reach, vs portability, vs affordability (might be less of an issue in US).

Good luck with your decision.

Rob

That's why the 400mm DO + 1.4x is currently my favourite option, Roy.
Yep, I have looked at that one Keith. Weight is right and obviously AF will be a lot better with a 1.4tc but I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the IQ although I have to say I have seen some very good shots from this lens on BF. Even seen one review where the guy reckoned the IQ was not a lot better than the 1-4 zoom. Seems a bucket of money for just one stop of light and questionable IQ.

Yep, I have looked at that one Keith. Weight is right and obviously AF will be a lot better with a 1.4tc but I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the IQ although I have to say I have seen some very good shots from this lens on BF. Even seen one review where the guy reckoned the IQ was not a lot better than the 1-4 zoom. Seems a bucket of money for just one stop of light and questionable IQ.

I think that there were a few dodgy early copies of this lens, but buying new you should be fine. I have seen a lot of shot taken with the 400 DO, including many excellent ones. I did consider this lens myself but decided that I wanted as much reach as I could carry! As a main lens I'd prefer the 400 DO to the 300 f2.8 - 560 f5.6 when used with a 1.4x and when needed 800 f8 MF for even more reach.

I think that there were a few dodgy early copies of this lens, but buying new you should be fine. I have seen a lot of shot taken with the 400 DO, including many excellent ones. I did consider this lens myself but decided that I wanted as much reach as I could carry! As a main lens I'd prefer the 400 DO to the 300 f2.8 - 560 f5.6 when used with a 1.4x and when needed 800 f8 MF for even more reach.

Sorry if this is thick, but when you say 560 f5.6 is that with the crop factor? I thought 300 f2.8 with a 1.4x tc would be 420mm and f4.

Thanks!

Sorry if this is thick, but when you say 560 f5.6 is that with the crop factor? I thought 300 f2.8 with a 1.4x tc would be 420mm and f4.

Thanks!

not you being thick, just me typing badly and not being clear about what I mean...

I was meaning that the 400mm f4 DO lens would be come a 560mm f5.6 when used with a 1.4x tc and a 800mm f8 when used with a 2x tc (all ignoring any crop factor, I never include this when thinking about focal lengths). You are totally correct that the 300 f2.8 becomes a 420 f4 with a 1.4 tc and an 600 f5.6 with a 2x tc.

I use a Canon 300 2.8 IS on a 20D with stacked 1.4x and 2x TCs which gives me 840mm f8 and retains AF. Obviously a tripod and remote release are essential with this combination.

I was going to ask about this combo Sandpiper so thanks for bringing it up. Do you use Canon TCs? There seems to be some discussion about the Kenko Pro working better for some reason which I fail to understand.

I use a Canon 300 2.8 IS on a 20D with stacked 1.4x and 2x TCs which gives me 840mm f8 and retains AF. Obviously a tripod and remote release are essential with this combination.
'Sandpiper' have you any examples shots of the 300 with stacked converters and how would you rate the IQ with this combo. I assume you must tape the pins on the tc to retain AF.

Last edited:
I was going to ask about this combo Sandpiper so thanks for bringing it up. Do you use Canon TCs? There seems to be some discussion about the Kenko Pro working better for some reason which I fail to understand.
Tim, the reference to the Kenko Pro is when the tc is used with a f5.6 lens (100-400 or 400mm f5.6). With these lenses you have to tape the pins on the tc to have AF (on a non 1 series body) and for some reason the Kenko Pro does not cause the lens to hunt as much as the Canon. I have both converters and can confirm this.

Tim

I currently use a Sigma 1.4x EX and an old Jessops 2x TC. The 2x is a non-reporting TC. When shooting at 840mm the camera reads it as 420mm, hence being able to get AF. I do not need to tape any pins.

Roy

I have only been using this lens combo for a short time and have so far only posted one pic (of Little Owls) in my gallery. I have yet to edit more pics. I would rate the IQ as very good using one or both TCs. If you are interested I will send you a few shots once they have been edited.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back