• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier Mk II (1 Viewer)

CliveP

I see on ebay there are Mk 2 versions available but there doesn't seem to be any info on what has changed?

Might be just slight cosmetics but they are priced around £100 more than the original.

Anyone know whats changed?

Thanks Golden One. Good work.

But, I seem to have become yet another buyer -just now ordered- of these Bushnell Excursion EX 8x36 for £160.

I just needed something to use while my Leica 10x32HD is going in for repair to the focus and I thought these might be a good low priced backup?

I couldn't decide between the 7x36,8x28,8x36 or 10x36 Excursion which was the cheapest but I eventually went for the 8x36 as the fov seemed good and the large exit pupil when compared to my Leica. Might be more useful for indoor events or low light use than my Leica or then again maybe not?

The anticipation of another new bin arriving has begun. I'm not expecting a lot at this price but I hope I am not very dissapointed or I guess I will just have to return them.

I think the general opinion of them here has been pretty positive.

Last edited:
Frontier

I see on ebay there are Mk 2 versions available but there doesn't seem to be any info on what has changed?

Might be just slight cosmetics but they are priced around £100 more than the original.

Anyone know whats changed?

I've just bought a pair of the original 8X43 as a 2nd pair, primarily to use whilst my swaro's are being repaired> they don't bounce if dropped on a concrete floor! Totally my fault and a heart stopping moment. I compared the old and the new versions and to my eyes I preferred the old version, totally subjective I know and it will always be down to personal choice. Anyway I am really pleased with the Hawke's as a backup pair, good image although a bit heavy but for <£300 a superb buy I believe. Now waiting to get my swaro's back and the repair bill!

Phil

Ouch!!!

I've only ever done that to an expensive scope but it was I think a wooden floor in a hide and it did bounce a bit which I think saved it from major damage.

I was on the verge of ordering the MKii but I know that I just would not use the larger binocular and then I saw some comments about the cooler view and I have just been getting used to the slightly warm Leica. I think on balance I prefer warm and I don't think these Bushnell will be like that but for their price I don't really care. They seem nice and compact and are supposedly bright.

Also I remember the Frontier 10x36 that I order and did not like at all as the sweet spot was so small and off centre so soft and it was quite large too. Never got try the 8x43 but if they have a better sweet spot then I am sure they are impressive as the centre of the 10x36 seemed to be of high quality.

Last edited:
Ouch

Ouch!!!

I've only ever done that to an expensive scope but it was I think a wooden floor in a hide and it did bounce a bit which I think saved it from major damage.

I was on the verge of ordering the MKii but I know that I just would not use the larger binocular and then I saw some comments about the cooler view and I have just been getting used to the slightly warm Leica. I think on balance I prefer warm and I don't think these Bushnell will be like that but for their price I don't really care. They seem nice and compact and are supposedly bright.

Also I remeber the Frontier 10x36 that I order and did not like at all as the sweet spot was so small and off centre so soft. Never got try the 8x43 but if they have a better sweet spot then I am sure they are impressive as the centre of the 10x36 seemed to be of high quality.

That sums it up exactly.

I'm happy with the 'stand in's' and she who must be will use them when mine are back.

Hi Clive , is there a 7x32 Frontier?

Hi Boogie

Sorry not that I am aware. Those were only Excursion models I was refering to but I see that I listed 32 mm instead of 36mm (to used to the Leica, fixed thanks). I think the 7x36 Excursion just has longer eye relief compared to the 8x but the 8x seems to have a wider fov so I went for the 8x36 Excursion.

Its seems about the same size as my Leica 10x32 and yet its 36mm objective. Its also half the price of the Frontier MK2's and since I will mainly still want to use the Leica after the hopefully successful fix I decided I wanted to spend as little as possible on a reasonable temp but I was tempted by a lot of models one in particular being the Elite 10x42 ED I saw at £350 which is about the same price as the Frontier MK2 but I think it will drop once the old frontiers are gone. Maybe there is also a new Elite on the way since this £350 seemed about half rrp?

Last edited:
That sums it up exactly.

I'm happy with the 'stand in's' and she who must be will use them when mine are back.

I have a feeling - at least I hope - that Swarovski will charge you very reasonably - if perhaps at all? - for the repair. Their service seems from all reports to really look after their customers. I wish you luck with that in any case.

Always make sure the strap is round the old neck. When I show people my new bins I haven't always had straps on them and in the case of the expensive ones it has made me nervous almost like the time when my sisters boyfriend crashed my new motorbike when I let him try it before there was even 100 miles on the clock. He paid the parts but I had to rebuild it. Certainly learnt how it was put together and not to let people with suicidal tendancies around potentialy dangerous machinery. Could have been very serious.I actually feel lucky over that one.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back