• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Duck (1 Viewer)

Reader

I was at Cosmeston Lakes, Penarth on 20/03/2015. It was about 6.15pm with very little light left. I managed to spot and photograph the Lesser Scaup I was after but I also spotted a very similar bird which I also photographed.

I have only just processed and edited the second bird and I have attached two of the photos for you to look at. The first is the Lesser Scaup but any suggestions on the second bird.

John

Attachments

• Lesser Scaup 1386.jpg
    Lesser Scaup 1386.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Scaup query 1352.jpg
    Scaup query 1352.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 122
Second is a Pochard × Tufted Duck hybrid - note the more extensive black on the bill tip, with a pale band at the edge of the black, and also the more uniform grey back, not vermiculated.

Here's a very similar Pochard × Tufted Duck hybrid from southeast Northumbs last year (and still hanging around)

Attachments

• Picture 303a.jpg
    Picture 303a.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for that. I knew it wasn't a Lesser Scaup and thought it might be what you suggested. The trouble was that there was very little light left (it was almost dark 15 minutes later) so it was impossible to distinguish colours.

John

Second is a Pochard × Tufted Duck hybrid - note the more extensive black on the bill tip, with a pale band at the edge of the black, and also the more uniform grey back, not vermiculated.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back