• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birders,Birds,Wild Animals & Mother Nature-hillarious combination while i was birding (1 Viewer)

Dr Manjeet Singh

Dr.Manjeet Singh
Birders,Birds,Wild Animals & Mother Nature-hillarious combination while i was birding

I had decided to go to Kuala Selangor for a birding trip. Got up in the morning at 6am and fumbled my way through dressing up in the dark (afraid of awaking my mother who sleeps in the next room). TYRANT I BELIEVE - my wife has told her to keep an eye on me until she comes back with my kids from U.K. - my mother - she kept me in her womb for 9months and has turned - TURNCOAT. I am considered the son-in-law (out-law) and my wife is her daughter -cruel people(ah) Went to the car and silently pushed my car out off the drive way and jumped in the car and bolted for the Nature park (Kuala Selangor) then I realised that i was wearing my shorts but being really hairy consoled myself that no insects could get me (off cause I was wearing my religious sword) Reached Kuala Selangor at 7.15am and the nature reserve was closed - will open at 8am. Killed time by eating breakfast and was excited about my trip (my imagination was running wild - seing birds which people had heard about but never seen but when i started seing birds with turbans i snaped out of it). My phone rang as usual - Where are you son - mom, i have gone birding to Kuala Selangor, Mom - MAKE SURE THEY ARE FEATHERED ONES NOT TWO LEGGED KIND - YOU HEAR SON. 80 yrs old still doesn't trust me or is it mother and daughter-in-law understanding
Took the map from the counter and paid RM2 for enterance fee to the girl and the girl had the cheek to tell me there will be small children in the park and the way way you dressed you may frighten the children-so I told her I can always take of my shorts if it frighten's the children- she fainted- I didn't know that she meant the sword not the shorts (why do people faint) - Started to walk through the track - Unbelievable sounds greeted me- forgot all other things- started looking for birds also was watching where i put my foot (snakes). Then i pushed myself off the track into the scrubs and tall trees and started hearing this small moaning sound but didn't pay any attention to it because i saw this ELVIS THE PELVIS BIRD..with black and white patterns on wings and breast and it was swaying it's body slowly from side to side in a peculier cockscrew fashion. Elvis the pelvis and I took a shot then I realised that the sound had increased to a roaring pitch but bird was about to fly - quickly got my second shot and turned around and saw myself surrounded by mosquitoes - about 3feet thick and 2feet wide and 10feet long- this black hoard of kubali khan's were attacking me but my hairy birthday suit protected my legs and arms - the sound was the disgust of their failer to penatrate my hairy armour- I bolted from there and galloped back to the main trail with my sword banging against my hip and carrying my scope + camera and my tripod on my shoulders- they charged me for sometime and then give up. (i was too fast). Used a small towel (4x4inches) to shead all the mozis from legs and spat out a few hundred mozis from my mouth and blew my nose which had another couple of hundred mozis in it. (NEXT TIME YOU IDIOT MANJEET WEAR LONGPANTS). I didn't know what bird I risked my life for(I will go home and check the guide book). Then the phone rang as usual my mother -Son have taken your food---I was still spitting mozis from my mouth and said - NOSH YESG (I meant not yet) - SON - HOW MANY TIME HAVE I TOLD YOU NOT TO TALK WHEN YOU HAVE FOOD IN YOUR MOUTH WHAT TYPE OF DOCTOR ARE YOU - YOU HEAR - decided to switch off the phone - peace at last. Then i walked, walked, and walked, saw Serpent Eagle, Grey Heron of which i took a few shots (50 i think). Then a brown-throated sun bird, a brahminay kite (couldn't take pictures of the kite because there was no way to get close.) Then got a pic of a bird with curved and yellowish white ring around the eyes - didn't know what it was (will upload it in birdforum for i.d)
Oh, by the way I left my turban at home and was using a old Australian hat - camourflage colour and it had a long chin strap which has a small button with which u can tighten the chin strap loosen it. Then again I went of the trail in to the jungle and saw two birds running up the tree quickly positioned my scope and camera while hiding behind a tree- saw through the scope - woodpecker with a red blazzing crest and golden brown body what type i didn't know will check up later, started taking photos on my 5th pic I felt something splat on my left shoulder and trickled down from my shoulder into my left breast pocket where I kept my only half eaten chocolate bar I assumed some ripe fruit had fallen on my left shoulder. Then I heard this unearthly scream near my ears whick took off my hat, the birds flew away and I looked up- just 4feet above me sat this primate black in colour - grey under belly and black face with grey whiskers (monkey, a big one). I was so angry that i glared at him, :C (he made the birds fly away :flyaway: ), He glared back at me :-C then he showed me his long teeth |:(| and i showed him mine. Finally, he glared at me |:S| probably reconized me as his relative, (CHARLE'S DARWIN THEORY) flicked his tail at me missing my nose by few inches and jumped on another tree and went away laughing (i swear). Then i realized that there was a foul smell coming from my left shoulder - turned and looked at my left shoulder - This bloody monkey had the runs and now i smelled to high heaven.
Started looking for a stream to wash off the muck, saw a small stream - walked down the bank less then a cubit high, took off my shirt and almost cried when i had to throw the half eaten choc bar. :'D Stupid monkey, lucky i had this tiny piece of soap i think, i stole it from one of the hotels where i had gone for a doctors meeting. Washed the t-shirt and hung it up on a branch to dry and as i turned this harmless looking snake dived through my legs into the stream and i was startled and fell backwards on my rear end. When i looked up after the fall this stone was peeping between my legs - Thank god it missed my ... , then i heard this loud tearing sound and my rear was getting wet (Oh No) my canvas shorts had split from between the legs to my rear up to the belt loop behind. Got up by holding on to the stone and checked by peeping between my legs thank god all parts were there. Now how do i go back to the car and then have food and not forgetting that to-day(31.08.2005) was independent day for Malaysia and there will be hoards of people at the main area (I am dead). Then I had this brilliant idea - ausi hats are great - I opened the chin strap put both my legs through the chin strap and ajusted the hat on my rear end and pull the chin strap tight (left the chin strap hanging in front) and pressed the button and locking it, the hat covered my rear and i picked up my things and went to the car park. On the way a family group past me some of them asked - Hi Doc Birding ah, then one of the small brat asked me- Doctor why are you wearing the hat behind - the hot sun is falling on your partially bold head, I growled :-C and said this is the new fashion for birding - the hat chases the birds away thus i am hiding the hat, As some of them moved passed me there was a lot of sniffing (I don't know why). Got in my car opened my windows (all four) the poo smell was hell. Drove to the restaurant and there were two tables occupied and there was District Officer and his family - hi doc and they refused to shake my hand (the smell was following me) then i called the waiter, who was a clown he stood 10feet away from me and was bending 90degrees backwards, took my order. I went to answer natures call, washed and went back to my table, as i passed the D.O's table his small son shouted doctor is wearing RED UNDER WEAR the hat had slipped up from my rear end - now i know why i was feeling tightness inside, i had worn my 12years old red jockey underwear in the dark, picked up my things and bolted for the car :D . Then called mom and collapsed with laughter in the car with the phone left on - my mother must be thinking that i have gone loony. (Mean an't I |})| )
Now I know some of you will be laughing at me so please make me laugh by sending your funny stories while birding but only birders, birds, wild animals and mother nature.YOU HERE
P.S The bird with curved beak and yellowish white around the eyes was uploaded for bird i.d. in birdforum - They are still cracking their heads and there is a rumour that they are cleaning their GUNS to shoot me when and if I go for the Birdfair 2006 (especailly Dave B). 3:)

Last edited:
Love it.

I don't think there was much more that could have gone wrong. Apart from getting arrested for indecent exposure.

I am trying to picture a hairy man wearing shorts with a hat on his butt with a sword strapped to his waist and carrying a tripod and scope. Very funny story!!! :D

Terry O'Nolley said:
I am trying to picture a hairy man wearing shorts with a hat on his butt with a sword strapped to his waist and carrying a tripod and scope. Very funny story!!! :D

That would make a good picture in the members section of the gallery.

Egads, I have no funny birding stories to share -- a couple where I either broke a bone or ended up with stitches -- but nothing on the order of your hysterical adventures!

I'm with you, John N! Surely there's a BF member who's an artist who can draw the Doc in his erstwhile "birding attire"? :t:

What a story. When will you be starring in a TV sit-com.The exploits of DR MANJEET SINGH. When will your wife return from UK?. Things are getting out of control, I feel sorry for your mother. I'm worried about dogs when I go birding I'm glad I haven't got monkeys crapping on me.[ When one mosquito bites, you worry about them all day.]

Manjeet,a hilarious tale.Many thanks for taking the time to tell us all about it.Sounds as though you need a "Warning" sign attached.There was a very funny film made in this country many years ago called "Doctor at Large",I guess you could have been the main star of the film!!!

I'm home sick today and your amazing story has really cheered me up. We should have a competition - "Best birding story" but I think you've already won before it begins. My worst experience was in the Northern Territory when I got up early, packed lunch and equipment and plenty of water. Drove out to Bird Billabong and hiked several km in, only to find I'd left my camera behind - only had my scope!!!! Thanks again for your great story - Someone should start a cartoon of you in a birding magazine. I think there is enough material here to last many issues!!

John Jackson said:
Exactly how many legs does she think the feathered ones have?
Wouldnt dare aske her a question like this-the last time i asked her a question some thing like this she caught me by my neck and washed my mouth with soap--TOUGH OLD LADY and a retired teacher too boot. |:$|

Hi Manjeet,

Glad Mum's keeping an eye on you ! I am sure Mum know Birds have two legs, Maybe she meant you to keep away from the "breasted kind? methinks.

I knew you had humour,runs inthe family kidof, but I must admit you take the cake!

Write more often Kid, the more you write the better it gets. :clap:

Dr K.N.Singh

Last edited:
all good stuff,bf needs more posts like this to keep the 'human element'.i had a small drama myself last year when a bull had escaped from a local farm,i just happen to walk through the area the creature had been seen last.until i bumped into a police marksman and dog handler i was oblivious.maybe we need a new catagory for such stories? matt

thesnobirrrdsintherfffyooobor! [ancient norfolk dialect]

matt green said:
all good stuff,bf needs more posts like this to keep the 'human element'.i had a small drama myself last year when a bull had escaped from a local farm,i just happen to walk through the area the creature had been seen last.until i bumped into a police marksman and dog handler i was oblivious.maybe we need a new catagory for such stories? matt

thesnobirrrdsintherfffyooobor! [ancient norfolk dialect]
Mat please write it down and post it(off cause add humour sorely lacking in this world-i am waiting for your humerous story you hear. 3:)

Well back in 1997 my wife myself and friends were in Bohnij Slovenia on holiday. My wife and myself were the only ones really interested in bird watching. We were having a good view of a couple of Red-backed shrikes, when we could hear a good thunder storm brewing then the rain came down, the only shelter was a hawthorn bush at the side of the road. Due to the fact there had been no rain for a considerable time everything was very dry especially the deposits left from the local herd of cattle. We were on a slope and the road was turning into a small stream and the cow deposits were turning into a messy slush. We were keeping dry under the bush UNTIL a car came speeding down the hill and splashed me with cow pooh. My socks and new boots got a good coating as well as my legs and shorts. I managed to save my bins from the slurry. My wife anticipating what was going to happen, being a farmers daughter, stood behind me. The smell was not too good! My friends still laugh at this story, I told them later back at the hotel, because they know I hate getting my boots dirty.

Donald Talbott said:
Well back in 1997 my wife myself and friends were in Bohnij Slovenia on holiday. My wife and myself were the only ones really interested in bird watching. We were having a good view of a couple of Red-backed shrikes, when we could hear a good thunder storm brewing then the rain came down, the only shelter was a hawthorn bush at the side of the road. Due to the fact there had been no rain for a considerable time everything was very dry especially the deposits left from the local herd of cattle. We were on a slope and the road was turning into a small stream and the cow deposits were turning into a messy slush. We were keeping dry under the bush UNTIL a car came speeding down the hill and splashed me with cow pooh. My socks and new boots got a good coating as well as my legs and shorts. I managed to save my bins from the slurry. My wife anticipating what was going to happen, being a farmers daughter, stood behind me. The smell was not too good! My friends still laugh at this story, I told them later back at the hotel, because they know I hate getting my boots dirty.
Well done Donald lol umm the smell lingers for days doesnt it. :clap: :clap: 3:)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back