• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rain! (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

Well it hasn't today but the aftermath of yesterday is still with us, ponds where no ponds should be. However, what interested me was something different to where the ponds would form.

I would have expected the maximum numbers of birds around the feeders when the weather is cold, i.e frost and/or snow. But I've noticed before and it was very noticeable yesterday that we get most birds feeding when there is heavy rain. Yesterday we were up to at least 30 Greenfinches and a dozen Chaffinches, plus extra Spadgers, Tits, you name it (except tatty Robin who I haven't seen since my last report).

So the question is, do all you bird-feeding lot out there have the same thing?

By the way, not everyone dislikes the rain. Look at this pair enjoying themselves.

Bill.

Attachments

• DS woodpigeons rain-bathing 220207 1.jpg
    DS woodpigeons rain-bathing 220207 1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DS woodpigeons rain-bathing 220207 2.jpg
    DS woodpigeons rain-bathing 220207 2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DS woodpigeons rain-bathing 220207 3.jpg
    DS woodpigeons rain-bathing 220207 3.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DS wood pigeons rainbathing 220207 4.jpg
    DS wood pigeons rainbathing 220207 4.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 33
Yes Bill, definitely. Despite those cold and frosty days recently, the largest numbers of birds visited yesterday in the pouring rain. Now this morning when it was showery rather than prolonged rain, numbers were lower. Yesterday I even had 3 collared doves at one time. I know that's nothing to you, but I've never had more than 2 at a time before in the 6 years that we've been here and sometimes weeks go by without a single visit.

My robin's missing this week, hope there's nothing amiss and it's just that I've not been looking when he's paid a visit.

Afraid not Bill |=(| Although I did have a Woodpigeon like yours taking a shower the other day, I wasn't quick enough with the camera though.
Even the Dunnocks take a rest from whizzing in and under the conifers when it is heavy rain!

Nice pics by the way :t:

It just never seems to stop here. Sadly, too wet to try to take the (digital!) camera out and try to get a shot of the eight Yellowhammers, among other things, at (or under) the table. (o)<

I seem to get less on a wet day. The garden can be pretty much empty for hours as though they don't want to come out of shelter! I've often noticed that.

Hi folks,

Hmm, seems like it's not universal the, so yes, some no. Other comments welcome.

Here you are Wendy, on the wires taken a couple of weeks ago, on the ground taken this afternoon. Just the few that hung around for a late free handout of maize (the scone pieces are for the Blackbirds). We get about 20-25 on a regular basis at this time of year, more in Autumn. On the other hand we don't get Siskins, LTTs, nor as many Goldies as a lot of people do; swings and roundabouts!

Bill

Attachments

• DS c dove9 on gdn wires 070207 .jpg
    DS c dove9 on gdn wires 070207 .jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 29
  • DS c dove9 on grass 230207 .jpg
    DS c dove9 on grass 230207 .jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The odd thing about the doves is that when we lived down the other end of the village, much less than a birdy mile, we had plenty of them, but never in your quantities. Then down there we didn't get the goldies at all, but here we are usually blessed with a minimum of 5 at a time and sometimes as many as 15.

A lovely sequence of shots of them Bill. Good to see them revelling in it so.

We too often get more when it's raining than on dry days, too wet to get the food they normally would survive on when it's dry I suppose?? Though Greenfinches numbering anywhere near yours would be a sheer delight here! I'll do you a swap on Blackcaps mybe????!!! ;)

Love, Sue.

Hi Bill.

My garden is much quieter in wet weather. Not deserted but far fewer birds. It is also very quiet in foggy weather. Starlings seem the most reluctant to visit in poor weather, wet or foggy.

Roy

Hi Bill,
Yes, I definitely get more birds when it is raining as it was this morning. It was very busy and I even got a Nuthatch which I haven't had for ages.

How interesting that it should vary so much! I too get fewer visitors in the rain. But I love watching the birds bathe in the puddles on the track once it has stopped raining. Why do they prefer the muddly puddles to my lovely clean birdbath? Answers on a postcard, please.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back