• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just for a laugh - London UK (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
I know this is ridiculous, but the replies might be interesting|=)|

At my local Reservoirs on Monday, I saw about a dozen large Gulls and a similar number of Crows, mobbing a large Raptor. I didn't get a clear view, as the light was poor - birds distant - and it's flight path took it behind some tall trees. I assumed that it was a Peregrine, albeit a very big one. The thing that confused me was the call; I'd never heard the noise before. If pushed, I'd say it sounded more like a whining/yelping Puppy than a bird. Nothing else I can add, as I didn't see it for long enough, didn't even have time to look through binoculars. Also, although easy to distinguish from the Crows, it wasn't easy to pick out amongst the largest (GBBs) Gulls that were mobbing it.

I forgot about it later, but on the way out, one of the wardens asked if I'd seen the Osprey flying over|=)|

I'd never seen an Osprey before, and I still can't honestly say that I have; I saw nothing Osprey-like, just a large Gull-like Peregrine. But here's a blurred black blob, it could be the Raptor, or it could be one of the large Gulls; I'm really not sure.

Like I said, I don't seriously expect and ID.

Attachments

• P1050163Rpf.JPG
    P1050163Rpf.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 207
...which also sounds a bit like a yelping dog! Did your bird call just once or was it a rapid succession of calls??

My local Reservoirs has a large Heronry, so I'm used to seeing and hearing Grey Herons (and so are the Wardens). The call was a number of calls strung together (I suppose "rapid succession" is pretty accurate), so nothing like a Heron. The call wasn't deep enough either. I'd say a Heron sounds like an adult Dog, but with an echo; this bird sounded like a small Puppy

Mind you, the pic I've uploaded could well be a Grey Heron; plenty of them flying about|=)|

Don't know about your bird but the only Osprey I have ever seen looked like a very large gull from a long way off until it circled a few times over my head.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back