• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The very wide brown land: Australia - June-August 2013 (1 Viewer)

Thank you for a wonderful trip report.
Keeping up with your travels and sightings has made Australia come alive for this more ground bound observer.
Maybe someday....

Terrific stuff Andrew-I feel slightly sad that now I won't get to login and get your nightly updates.

And you just know that one day you'll have to go back and do the spinifex and grasswrens justice......

Thanks for the comments folks. I guess it was a bit of a 'whistle-stop tour' and, I really can't wait to jump back in the spinifex for those grasswrens ;).

I might add a few more logistical points when I get time so there may be one more update to look forward to.

Thanks for that Andrew - good stuff. The only downside is that I now have to think seriously about an Australia trip, as well as all the other places I 'have to' visit.

Awesome. Thanks so much. I've been so taken with everything about Australia every time I've been. This pegs things home. A great heritage you honor - with such writing. I mean this in all / many ways.............

Great read Andreww, takes me and my wife back to our trips in the Top End and Red Centre together with the areas around Sydney. BTW we did have a brief glimpse of Grasswren in the Spinfex at Ormiston.

Regards the campervan hire, you were allowed across State Borders and it was a one way hire is that correct? Goes without saying you were careful on the unsealed bits of road, did the hire people say anything to you about the roads?

Great read Andreww, takes me and my wife back to our trips in the Top End and Red Centre together with the areas around Sydney. BTW we did have a brief glimpse of Grasswren in the Spinfex at Ormiston.

Regards the campervan hire, you were allowed across State Borders and it was a one way hire is that correct? Goes without saying you were careful on the unsealed bits of road, did the hire people say anything to you about the roads?

I think the campervan company seemingly encourage one way hires, at least for longer trips - there was no one-way hire charge at all. Taking it across state borders didn't seem to be an issue at all. The only problem at state borders was having to hand over fruit and veg because of fruit fly exclusion zones. As for the unsealed roads - I was very careful on them! The campervan hire was generally a good deal and is certainly recommended. Even though this type of vehicle seems to be aimed at young people who say 'awesome' a lot, I think there's a lot of merit to using them for a wide range of activities. I found it very comfortable to sleep in.

Thanks for all the other comments - I hope it's inspired people to visit or revisit the Australian interior and Top End.

lots of great info

Thanks for all the great info, hopefully it will help us when we next get to Australia and cover some of these areas

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back