• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

USA 2013: Bear River MBR and Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks (1 Viewer)

arodris

Hi,

This year I visited USA with my family. The trip had several parts, with the first one being the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge, near Brigham City, in Utah. Thereafter, we moved north, to reach Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. Finally, we arrived to Glacier National Park, almost in the frontier with Canada. Alghough we had visited some of these areas some time ago, we enjoyed with the beauty of these areas, that offer great opportunities to see wildlife.

1. Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge: Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge lies where the Bear River flows into the northeast arm of the Great Salt Lake. The Refuge protects the marshes found at the mouth of the Bear River; these marshes are the largest freshwater component of the Great Salt Lake ecosystem. Since these marshes are in turn surrounded by arid desert lands, it is little wonder that they have always been an oasis for waterbirds and wildlife.

In this link you will see all the information regarding this part, including maps and pictures, and the complete list of species.

2. Grand Teton National Park: Located in northwestern Wyoming, Grand Teton National Park preserves a spectacular landscape rich with majestic mountains, pristine lakes and extraordinary wildlife. The park's world-renowned scenery attracts nearly four million visitors per year. Rising more than 7,000 feet above the valley of Jackson Hole, the Teton Range dominates the park's skyline. The elevation of the park ranges from 6,320 feet on the sagebrush-dominated valley floor to 13,770 feet on the windswept granite summit of the Grand Teton. Between the summit and plain, forests carpet the mountainsides. During summer, wildflowers paint meadows in vivid colors. Crystalline alpine lakes fill glacial cirques, and noisy streams cascade down rocky canyons to larger lakes at the foot of the range. Running north to south, the Snake River winds its way through the valley and across this amazing scene.

Click here to see all the information of this part of the trip.

3. Yellowstone National Park: It's wonderland. Most of the world's geysers, including Old Faithful, are preserved here. They are the main reason the park was established in 1872 as world's first national park. A mountain wildland, home to grizzly bears, wolves, and herds of bison and elk, is the core of one of the last, nearly intact, natural ecosystems in the Earth’s temperate zone. This park is huge. For these reason we spent 2 nights in the south, in Grant Village, and 4 nights in the north, in Mammoth Hot Springs.

Click here to see an explanation of this part.

4. Glacier National Park: Pristine forests, alpine meadows, rugged mountains, and spectacular lakes. All this is Glacier National Park. With over 700 miles of trails, Glacier is a hiker's paradise for adventurous visitors seeking wilderness and solitude. Relive the days of old through historic chalets, lodges, transportation, and stories of Native Americans. The park is divided in two areas by the summits in the Continental Divide. The east part is open and contains several small glacial lakes. The west part is woody, and valleys are occupied by large lakes. We spent 2 days in each part, and one more to go across the Going-to-the Sun road, that connects both parts.

Click in this link to see pictures and the list of species observed.

I hope you enjoy with this thread. If you notice any identification mistake, please do not hesitate to tell me.

Regards,

Antonio

Hi Antonio,
I really enjoyed looking at your trip report. Some great wildlife pictures, and the scenery you visited is just awesome. You are a lucky man to have been to such places.
Best regards,
Mark

ovely pictures and reminds me of when i went. Lovely place and great birding! I especially loved the marsh outside Jackson hole getting amazing views of yellow headed Blackbird, Trumpeter swan, and lots of other ducks. Great place and lovely report!!

Cameron

Very nice trip! We have plans to go to Yellowstone and surrounding parks as well and this will help us plan. How long was your trip altogether? And from where did you fly back?
thanks!

Hi,

Thank you to all of your comments.

John, The wolf was crossing the road while I was (with more people) waiting at dusk in an established point (you can find it in the map). It was about 100 m from our waiting point. I did the picture with a 500 telephoto lens.

RonW, my flight departed from Barcelona, Spain on August 2nd. We arrived to Salt Lake City the same day at night. After sleeping in Salt Lake we moved north to our first point, Bear River. We finished our trip on August 19. This means about 16-17 days.

Our flight departed from Kalispell, Montana (Glacier International Airport). This is a small airport, but we could return our rented car there. The flight was Kalispell to Denver and then to Orlando (we were with a child, and we plan something for him also). I guess that you can do other connections from Kalispell.

Regards,

Antonio

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back