• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ugly baby what? (1 Viewer)

kwerrett

Hi, if you read my introduction in the "Hello" section then you will know I am in Brittany, France. Take a read to see what my surroundings are that my help identify this critter!
It was found at the bottom of a hey barn next door, one that the Barn Owls use. I guess its an escapee. Its about 4.5" long. Feet not webbed and grey colour.
Need to know what to and how to feed.
Look forward to comments.

Attachments

• ugly critter.jpg
    ugly critter.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 188
kwerrett said:
Need to know what to and how to feed.
Look forward to comments.

Do you have a local bird or wildlife rescue or maybe a bird veterinarian? They will be able to help you out the most. But I agree it does look like a pigeon and I am pretty sure they are fed crop milk from the parents.

ONLY if it's a racing pigeon Malky! ;) LOL

*it's ok...venom of the month is directed at dogs just now - cats and pigeons are having a temporary reprieve!* ;)

GILL

I've hand-reared lots of pigeons (wood and feral, does that make me bad?!), and it's very easy. I used a spoon and sweetened cow's milk with weetabix (runny consistency). As with most birds, you have to force-feed them a bit the first few times. As they got older I introduced boiled rape (canola) seeds.

we used to have piegon laying eggs and rearing young ones in our house in mumbai....and have often had experiences where if once a baby piegon is touched by humans the parents used to kill it.......so whatever u do , dont try and give it back to the parents....
do correct if i am wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back