• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Odd question - heavy duty tripod (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

I noticed there are a lot of threads about lightweight tripods, but I am wanting to go the other way.
I have a CF tripod and ED50 for when I am traveling, but I want to replace my current Manfrotto 190v with something considerably more substantial. As I mainly use this scope for static viewing (gulls, sea-watching, raptors) I don't mind a bit of weight. I am about 5'10" and prefer not to raise the central column where possible.
The 190 is a perfectly fine tripod, but I find that mechanically it feels a bit flimsy when paired with my ED82 and Manfrotto 500 head.

Would an old 144 or ART190 be a more suitable base? Slik Pro 400? Any other suggestions - I'm looking for something functional (and rugged) for under 100GBP.
Happy to go down the secondhand route too, be handy to know what to look out for.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Daniel,

the most sturdy tripod I own is an old and long discontinued set of Cullmann Titan CT-300 Legs which usually carry a CT-50 ballhead.

The two piece legs extend to 52.5" height (I don't have a center column but I think there was one available back then), have a packed length of 34" and weight a bit over 8 lbs. Legs are absolutely waterproof from below and can stand in 25" salt water without problems.
Not sure about rated load but it is usually used for sth like a middle format camera and tele.

These sometimes can be had for 100-150€ over here...

Then there's always Berlebach wood tripods.

Joachim

I understand the problem, as it sounds like your birding habits are similar to mine. I needed something more substantial (the tripod was a bit flimsy for the new scope anyway) but found a solution with a similarly-weighted tripod but considerably heavier head (the scope being 1lb heavier than the previous one anyway).
In static situations, this weight drives down into the legs and has been much more stable, without making the whole deal less portable. The much improved head has also given more control while panning on a sea-watch or through gull roosts - an 'analogue' movement rather than 'digital' if you know what i mean...

The former 65mm scope is still attached to the lightweight head. If i fancy a 10 mile scoot around the coast, i just swap the scopes/heads over.

I've no specific recommendations but I'll second the comment about a sturdy head being very important. Another thing to keep in mind is that heavy may be correlated with tough and durable but not necessarily with stability. I've seen many heavy tripods that were not very stable. Good medium weight carbon fiber or wood tripods tend to dampen vibrations better than heavy aluminum tripods. If portability and adjustability are not big concerns, I'd suggest finding a set of old (used) wooden tripod legs, maybe convertible from use in surveying or astronomy.

--AP

Thanks for the replies!

Cheers for the replies, I've found a cheapish 144 for sale that I think I'm going to take a punt on, looks to be in good condition. I may keep my eyes open for a wooden tripod, as I like the idea of this and the potential dampening effects. I do like the head I have now, and I prefer it to the 128rc in all honesty.

Another option is an old Gitzo tripod I found for less than 70gbp which looks well used but very sturdy. There is no model number, but I wonder if anybody recognises it from the attached photo? Would this be a good alternative?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Gitzo.jpg
    Gitzo.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 91
dwatsonbirder, second hand big "view camera" tripods like USA-made Quickset "Samson" and "Hercules" models, Majestic "twin tube leg" model, and the vintage Saltzman tripod are not ones you would want to carry any distance, but are nice for viewing in windy conditions near your vehicle. They are all over 20 pounds except the Samson which is about 10. I do a lot of mammal and eagle watching in Montana, USA - where locals call a 30 mph wind a "light breeze" and have used all of these at one time or another to mount a big spotting scope. A friend had a nice Diascope on a light tripod blown over by a gust of wind, shattering the objective, so heavy tripods do have advantages. I'm not sure these would be as common on your side of the pond, however. -Bill

Sachtler. Doesn't get more heavy duty than that. Even the lightest models are considerably more stable than the Gitzos and the like. Both the aluminium and the CF versions are basically indestructible, and unlike the Gitzos they can even be used in knee deep water no problem: www.sachtler.com

These are professional tripods and can sometimes be found used at very reasonable prices.

Edit: That's one of the older Gitzos in your pricture. If the locks are OK that would be an alternative, especially at that price. But you need to check the tripod carefully!

Hermann

Hi Daniel

if it's of interest I have a mint Manfrotto 055 tripod which came with a Pentax 80 mm scope a few years back. It's much too heavy duty to use with either my Nikon ED50 or even my Swarovski 65 mm scopes. It would certainly meet your requirements in terms of height. I'm same height and it puts a scope at eye level or slightly above with all legs extended but no centre column extension.

Looking for £65 ex carriage if you would like it.

Regards

John

Have you considered the Manfrotto 290 Xtra Tripod? £69 at Uttings. Quite a large tripod 1780g in weight with a good wide leg spread.

These with the 128 head have just come into Minsmere and with an angled scope or straight they're pretty high without raising the centre column.(137cm high without raising column according to specs).

Thanks for all the suggestions. I managed to source a 144b which should arrive this week - hopefully I will be able to give it a field test next weekend. Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back