• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1ds Mk 11 or 1d Mk111? (1 Viewer)

malgos

I have been using a 1dMK11 for about 3 years and for reasons too long and boring to go into I need a new camera. I can,t decide between a secondhand 1ds Mk11 or a new 1d Mk111. I am coming down on the side of a used 1ds MK111 for the following reasons
1 Same price as a new MK111 but admittedly used but with 3 month guarantee and low shutter actuations.
2 More pixels,higher resolution.
3 Proven track record whereas I,m reading some varying reports about the Mk111.
4 I know its full frame and I,ll lose some magnification.
If I was certain of the choice I would have already made the purchase but I am still uncertain which way to go so advice woul be appreciated. I know forum members use both cameras and theres some seriously switched on members with regard to camera choices so advice please.
Malcolm

They are very different cameras, Malcom, with very different strengths and weaknesses. You won't lose any magnification, you gain magnification. Neither pixel count nor sensor size are relevant to mgnification: with any given lens, the detail you can resolve on a distant bird is determined only by the pixel pitch, which is quite a lot higher on the 1Ds III. Of course, you pay for that with lower frame rate and inferior high-ISO performance. Other than that, as I'm sure you know, the two cameras are pretty much the same.

Which do you want more? Detail? Or speed and low-light capability? It's a straight either/or.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back