• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading (1 Viewer)

tobytayles

tobytayles
Hi all
I currently have a Barr and Stroud Sahara as my 1st scope and I'm looking
to upgrade it, would a Nikon RAIII 60 be a significant upgrade as I see a few of them around the £150 mark? Or an opticron is 70. I've got a budget off £300 and open to suggestions
Cheers

Hi all
I currently have a Barr and Stroud Sahara as my 1st scope and I'm looking
to upgrade it, would a Nikon RAIII 60 be a significant upgrade as I see a few of them around the £150 mark? Or an opticron is 70. I've got a budget off £300 and open to suggestions
Cheers

Hi,

sorry, I don't know any of the instruments mentioned first hand and only the Opticron by name. I would save up a bit more or stretch the 300 quid budget a bit and get some 2nd hand alpha.

Some pages back in the classifieds there is an ad trying to sell a Kowa TSN-3 plus 30 wide EP and a Nikon Fieldscope ED78 with a 38x EP, each one for 350 quid (not my ad).

Both will run circles around the instruments mentioned above and the Kowa can be further upgraded with an Opticron SDLv2 zoom to be very very nice - at least mine is in that combination.

Joachim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back