• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (16 Viewers)

Brilliant day at Spurn. Got a lifer in Lapland Bunting, saw a couple each of Spot Fly and Redstart. Common Sand and Water Rail on canal scrape, two Wheatear at Sammies Point and about 7 Yellow Wags. But the highlight for me was watching as thousands (and I means thousands) of Swallows slowly migrated South past us. It was constant and it was all day, and among them were 9 Swifts, one which I really think may have been a Pallid as it's whole head was very light in colour and seemed lighter than usual Swifts. As I don't know for certain i will not count it but I was taken by it's light headed appearance. The Swallows did it though. Bon Voyage to them and see you next Spring. Lifer to be edited tomorrow.

Brilliant day at Spurn. Got a lifer in Lapland Bunting, saw a couple each of Spot Fly and Redstart. Common Sand and Water Rail on canal scrape, two Wheatear at Sammies Point and about 7 Yellow Wags. But the highlight for me was watching as thousands (and I means thousands) of Swallows slowly migrated South past us. It was constant and it was all day, and among them were 9 Swifts, one which I really think may have been a Pallid as it's whole head was very light in colour and seemed lighter than usual Swifts. As I don't know for certain i will not count it but I was taken by it's light headed appearance. The Swallows did it though. Bon Voyage to them and see you next Spring. Lifer to be edited tomorrow.

There were quite a few 1st year Swifts yesterday which appear paler and have a larger white throat. The passage over the last few days has been very good with large numbers of Swallows and Meadow Pipits, a great spectacle, glad you enjoyed it.

We had a trip to Scar House Res.at the top of nidderdale yesterday,good numbers of Common Buzzards around in the dale but what surprised us was the number of House Martins still feeding young on the nest.Around the tower on the dam we counted at least 8 nests with at least 2 young per nest,even presuming these are 2nd or maybe 3rd broods is it a late date for these birds?.At the same time there was good numbers of Swallows flying high through the dale no doubt heading South.

There were quite a few 1st year Swifts yesterday which appear paler and have a larger white throat. The passage over the last few days has been very good with large numbers of Swallows and Meadow Pipits, a great spectacle, glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks for that Andy, one can always hope :) Didn't manage to bump into you yestyerday and the missis had had enough by the time I wanted to come to the Seawatch hide. You are right about the "spectacle" with the Swalows. We were stood on the highest point of the road to the point and they were constantly pouring past. It's the only time and place I have ever seen mass migration in action. Thrilling.

According to BOURC it's reported as today. Edit; Scratch that I read it wrong, it is yesterday. The plot thickens.

Last edited:
Don't panic, the late report of Roller is all entirely innocent, no suppression, or anything else worthy of gossip. I'm sure Andy R or someone from around there will post the full details.

There are birders on the way to check it out now, so there should be news either way shortly.

I was at Spurn yesterday. You mean that someone saw it and never told anyone?

Possible. I'm not one to jump to conclusions of suppression, though. It could be a simple "I saw this strange bird yesterday, what is it?" from a non-birder. Those circumstances are a bit annoying but innocent.

EDIT - cross post with Tom McKinney.

Possible. I'm not one to jump to conclusions of suppression, though. It could be a simple "I saw this strange bird yesterday, what is it?" from a non-birder. Those circumstances are a bit annoying but innocent.

EDIT - cross post with Tom McKinney.

Here's the story, someone saw, photographed and videoed the bird at Easington and send an email to Geoff Dobbs with 2 photographs attached, no mention of time or exactly where. Also I think they are beginners as they found out from the RSPB that they come from southern Europe and that is why they sent the photos in.
Everyone at Spurn are currently looking for the bird as i write, hopefully I will have permission to post the photographs later and will put them on the Spurn website.
This is a tad annoying as I missed the last one when I was away and I'm currently back in Broomhill for the week!
Andy Roadhouse

Here's the story, someone saw, photographed and videoed the bird at Easington and send an email to Geoff Dobbs with 2 photographs attached, no mention of time or exactly where. Also I think they are beginners as they found out from the RSPB that they come from southern Europe and that is why they sent the photos in.
Everyone at Spurn are currently looking for the bird as i write, hopefully I will have permission to post the photographs later and will put them on the Spurn website.
This is a tad annoying as I missed the last one when I was away and I'm currently back in Broomhill for the week!
Andy Roadhouse

Well done to them! An amazing find for anyone, and it's good they managed decent photos as it would have been hard for them to have had it accepted otherwise. Shame the bird didn't show to anyone else - I hope the Spurn guys manage to refind it.

Thanks for the story Andy. Let's hope it turns up again. Fancy being a beginner and one of the first birds you come across is a Roller. Some folk are just born lucky.

I have just re-read the email and they don't say what date they saw the Roller but the photograph is dated 11th which was the Saturday.
Andy

For Sheffield-types, the SBSG are running a field trip to the gull roost at Redmires tonight. Looks like there'll be a few Yellow-legs lurking among the flock if nothing else.

All welcome, meet at 6.30pm at the Middle Res pull-in.

We're looking for some help with the Bird Atlas in the final year. There are still many tetrads (2 x 2 km squares) that need covering throughout Yorkshire for Timed Tetrad Visits ( 2 one hour visits in the winter and 2 one hour visits in the summer). In each 10-km square we need a minimum of 8 tetrads covered in both seasons. Below is a list of some of the 10-km squares where we still need help - some in surprisingly well watched and well populated places such as Whitby. There are many more 10-km squares where 6 or 7 tetrads have been done but a couple more are needed to reach 8.

SK59 (3 tetrads done) Maltby, Tickhill, Wadworth, Alverley area
SK69 (5 done) Bawtry, Bircotes, New Rossington, Misson area
SK48 (3 done) Killamarsh, Aston, Mosborough area
SE40 (4 done) Frickley, Little and Great Houghton, Dearne area
NZ81 (3 done) Whitby (must be birders in Whitby), Runswick, East & West Barnby area
TA09 needs 2 in winter – Cloughton and Scalby
TA08 (5 done) Cayton, Newby, Seamer area
NZ90 (6 done) Park Gate, High Hawsker area
NZ60 (2 done) West Ayton, Westerdale area
NZ50 (4 done) Easby, Little Busby area
SE99 (4 done) Staintondale, Wykeham, Langsdale End area
SE89 (5 done) Gallock Hill, White Way Heads area
SE78 (5 done) Riseborough Hagg, Normanby, Keldholme area
SE59 (1 done) The Grange, Chop Gate area
TA17 (5 done) Reighton, Primrose Valley, inland of Buckton and Bempton
SE95 (1 done) North Dalton, Bainton, Kirkburn area
TA31 (1 done) Winestead Drain
TA32 (6 done) Withersea, Hollym, Welwick area
TA12 (4 done) docks off Hedon Road east of Hill, Goxhill south of the Humber

If you can help in any of these areas please get in touch direct ([email protected]) or login at www.birdatlas.net (red button to register and login) and go to Data Home and click on 'Request TTV' to view a 10-km square and contact the local organiser direct.

You can view general coverage and provisional results for Yorkshire here http://www.bto.org/birdatlas/latest_results/regionalresultsnav.htm
Just select your county from the list.

There is just one winter (Nov-Feb) and one breeding season (Apr-Jul) left and we need all the help we can to complete the atlas in Yorkshire. Thanks to all those who have helped with the Atlas so far.

Good birding!

Dawn Balmer (Atlas Coordinator, BTO)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back