• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Paderborn, Germany yesterday what am I? (1 Viewer)

Andy Hurley

Gotta love nature!
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
I've searched about four different bird books but I can't i.d. this bird.
Can any help? Please.

Thanks
Andy

Attachments

• unidentified bird.png
    unidentified bird.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 281
It was very pale in colour. I took the pic with a sigma 150-500mm at full zoom from about 150m. Looking at the background colours, they are as they appear in real life.

It was very pale in colour. I took the pic with a sigma 150-500mm at full zoom from about 150m. Looking at the background colours, they are as they appear in real life.

Hi, Andy,
Was the bird in very good light or even in full sunlight? If so that would explain why it was washed out and the other colours are OK.
Cameras usually calculate exposure on the average brightness of a scene. A bird 150m away is very small in the frame. It's brightness wouldn't have been taken into account so it was over exposed. When taking small light coloured birds in good light, reduce exposure by 1 or 2 stops to get the bird right. The rest of the scene will look dark but the bird will not be burnt out.

I've adjusted the thumbnail as well as I can with a photo only 150 x 150 pixels, but the breast was badly burnt out.

Attachments

• unidentified%20bird.png
    unidentified%20bird.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 177
I can't open the thumbnail either. But I learnt a new trick today.

Press Ctrl and +. You can enlarge a web-page by degrees. Ctrl and - to reduce.

Many probably know this already, but it was a revelation to me!

Even so. The fact that it seems to be on roof tiles? Obviously makes one think it's on a building, so it must be a Black Redstart.
However, Common Redstarts can be seen in the strangest places on migration! In gardens, on buildings. I know because i've seen them!

There seems to be quite a greyish cast to the bird. But as I love mysteries, I will make no comment!

Hi, Andy,
Was the bird in very good light or even in full sunlight? If so that would explain why it was washed out and the other colours are OK.
Cameras usually calculate exposure on the average brightness of a scene. A bird 150m away is very small in the frame. It's brightness wouldn't have been taken into account so it was over exposed. When taking small light coloured birds in good light, reduce exposure by 1 or 2 stops to get the bird right. The rest of the scene will look dark but the bird will not be burnt out.

Thanks for the tip. Mr Patience.

It was standing on a shed roof and was in direct sunlight which did not cover the whole roof as it is on the north side of a 3 storied house. The area is very close to open farmland with trees around the edges and the house/shed in question are the first buildings that sit on the edge of a fairly small and quiet area of housing.

About the ring, Lykos.

The black redstart is on the amber list, and it might have been ringed by conservationists trying to keep tracks on its movements to help the threat to it's existence. I'll look into it.

The black redstart is on the amber list, and it might have been ringed by conservationists trying to keep tracks on its movements to help the threat to it's existence. I'll look into it.[/QUOTE]

There is a club that call itself "Vogelfreunde Sande e.v." which means bird friends in Sande which is the next village. They breed and ring native birds. This one probably came from there.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back