• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shuntu binoculars ? (1 Viewer)

DadraFromFrance

France
A new chinese baby from a ZR ED2's mother and a Minox HG's father :smoke:
Never seen them before...

ion-in-ultra-high-definition-phase-membrane-mirror-p41987904-11489406-origin.jpg

I purchased Shuntu Asika binoculars 8x42 ED from eBay recently. They came delivered for around $150 aus. Although they were advertised as ED this was not mentioned in the packaging. Although phase coating was.

Firstly the positives: They came extremely well packaged in a very solid box, with case, soft bag, instructions etc. The build quality of the binoculars is also quite impressive, in that everything that was required to move was smooth but firm. Lens caps fitted perfectly etc. 10/10 here.

The modern lens coatings showed in rich vibrant colours across the field as good as one can expect from most binoculars. Overall they give a very bright sharp view which softens towards the edges.

There are a few negatives which aren't really relevant at this price point. But ?? We have a lot of sunlight in Australia and this shows up in flare on the bottom edges when viewing. It is annoying but more than made up by the rich vibrant view across most of the field. There also isn't a lot of depth in the view and I tend to be focusing a bit more than I would with a good pair of porros. With the Shuntu's I tend to focus on an object and it then takes a another second before my old eyes adjust to the view. I know not really a fault but if one has had Nikon SE's you know what a really comfortable view is.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ED-8x42-...142242?hash=item281f14b3a2:g:dZsAAOSw9etXQAzU

So what do I think as an overall judgement. Well these may be older production models on sell out. So current production will have corrected some of my observations. Even so, they represent exceptional buying for the price. A perfect first buy for a birdwatcher/hunter or as a gift for someone. An excellent second set which will be will not be too far away from some higher end players. A must have at this price.

I purchased Shuntu Asika binoculars 8x42 ED from eBay recently. They came delivered for around $150 aus. Although they were advertised as ED this was not mentioned in the packaging. Although phase coating was.

Firstly the positives: They came extremely well packaged in a very solid box, with case, soft bag, instructions etc. The build quality of the binoculars is also quite impressive, in that everything that was required to move was smooth but firm. Lens caps fitted perfectly etc. 10/10 here.

The modern lens coatings showed in rich vibrant colours across the field as good as one can expect from most binoculars. Overall they give a very bright sharp view which softens towards the edges.

There are a few negatives which aren't really relevant at this price point. But ?? We have a lot of sunlight in Australia and this shows up in flare on the bottom edges when viewing. It is annoying but more than made up by the rich vibrant view across most of the field. There also isn't a lot of depth in the view and I tend to be focusing a bit more than I would with a good pair of porros. With the Shuntu's I tend to focus on an object and it then takes a another second before my old eyes adjust to the view. I know not really a fault but if one has had Nikon SE's you know what a really comfortable view is.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ED-8x42-...142242?hash=item281f14b3a2:g:dZsAAOSw9etXQAzU

So what do I think as an overall judgement. Well these may be older production models on sell out. So current production will have corrected some of my observations. Even so, they represent exceptional buying for the price. A perfect first buy for a birdwatcher/hunter or as a gift for someone. An excellent second set which will be will not be too far away from some higher end players. A must have at this price.

Nice review of what seems a real bargain.
You could probably end the solar flare problem with a hood extension on the objectives. My Canon 10x42s take a 52mm threaded hood, if your Shuntus have a similar thread fitting, the hoods are $6US each on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009GFY6EG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back