• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Holiday..25th Sept-9th Oct 2008. (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

The holiday started for me and my OH with a delay at B-ham airport! We eventually took off at the time we should have been arriving at Faro, however we landed safely at Faro airport at 12.50pm. The first birds normally seen at the airport are House Sparrows, I was not dissappointed, they were certainly there in numbers as was to be the case at most places that we visited during our 2 week holiday in the Algarve.With the Hire car collected we set off for Gale, a journey time off approximately 1 hour from Faro. Gale is a small resort approx 3 kms West of Albufeira. Feeling in need of refreshment we stopped at a cafe/bar in Albufeira that we knew to be very good (haven't found a bad one yet) and were delighted to see that the owners had made provision for the local H.Sparrows by giving them their own feeding station and a parasol! A great idea that keeps the Sparrows off the tables and gives the diner a great view of them feeding.

Our rented Villa accomodation was as expected very good indeed. With an added bonus in that just beyond the villa in a small group of trees House Sparrows roosted! They arrived in small and large flocks just as it was approaching dusk and the sound of them cheeping was a joy to hear, the sound getting louder as more and more arrived until dusk and then all went quiet until the early morning when they would start again, gradually drifting off to their chosen places for the day. This was one time I did not mind being an early morning person lol!! A wonderful sight, sound, start and end to the day indeed. Gulls and Wildfowl also passed overhead to and from roosts daily. Spotless Starlings were to be seen on the aerials each day and singing sweetly early in the morning. A Sparrowhawk made almost a daily flyover which quietened the H.Sparrows somewhat. A family of Swallows were to be seen preening on the telephone wires for the first few days of the holiday. 2 or 3 Blackbirds were always around the garden or bathing on the rooves of the villas. A surprise visitor on the 4th day of the holiday was a Pied flycatcher in the garden and visiting everyday of the holiday thereafter! A wonderful little bird. The Lantana being the attraction as the P.Flycatcher would seek out the small green caterpillars!

Our first visit of this holiday to Lagoa dos Salgados (Pera Marsh) was to be an eye opener! The water level was so high after heavy rain the Monday prior to us arriving in Portugal, we had never seen the water level so high and it was impossible to get to the viewing platform as the water had enveloped it. The waders were on the far side of the Marsh and even with a scope some were too far for a proper ID. Though the Flamingoes, Spoonbills, Little Egrets, Herons, Cormorants, Glossy Ibis and White Storks were easily ID'd! I was really pleased to find a Caspian Tern and Sandwich Tern amongst the Gulls on a small grassy island on the Marsh. On the first weekend of the holiday we were to have a storm that lasted almost 36 hours, with some amazing thunder and lightning at times. Subsequently the water at Pera Marsh was so high that it breached the sand barrier, so now Pera Marsh was but mudflats with the hot sun beginning to dry the mudflats out very quickly. The Black-Winged Stilts had now returned from the far side of the marsh, also 3 Avocets were good to see, the only time we were to see Avocets this holiday.

On the evening of the 3rd of October a drive to Pera Marsh to look later that evening for Owls brought a nice surprise. A Black Stork arrived, although it was on the far side of the marsh with the scope we had very good views. 3 curious Herons and a White Stork later joined the Black Stork, I reckon the Black Stork felt uneasy and it took flight not long after being surrounded. A first for me and I was delighted! We had 3 sightings later that evening of Owl silhouettes against the darkening sky and sunset, no idea as to the ID of them though. Still they were good to see along with the bats which flitted to and fro whilst we sat at a cafe/bar having a refreshing drink. We made good friends with the owner of the cafe though she knew as much English as we did Portuguese! She was very interested in my Collins Bird Guide and leafed through it, pointing out to me the birds that she recognised being at Pera. We returned several evenings for a drink and a garbled chat with Paula.

One evening whilst driving away from the cafe we could see in the road ahead eyes shining in the headlights. Approaching very slowly and then coming to a standstill we saw a bird lying flat and motionless on the road and its eyes staring at the headlights! Suddenly it was up and away....a Nightjar! I reckon it must have been eating it's supper! Red-necked Nightjar breed in this area so the chances are that is what it was rather than a European, whatever, it was a Nightjar with stunning plumage and another first for me! We were to have 2 further sightings of a Nightjar in flight in the same area on 2 other evenings.

Other highlights at Pera Marsh were the dragonflies, though not as many as has been seen on other holidays at the same time of year. Lesser Emperor (which hardly settled for a pic), Red Veined Darter, Scarlet Darter being the ones I could ID when they momentarily settled at times. A surprise Bluthroat ( I was told that there are plenty at Pera..wonder were they were!), Marsh Harrier, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Fan-tailed Warbler, Yellow, Grey and Pied Wagtail, Wheatear, Stonechat and Whinchat,Turnstone, Golden Plover, Kentish Plover, Purple Gallinule and Warblers seen and heard including Fan-tailed and Sardinian, were to be seen (or heard) on most visits to Pera Marsh.

Pera Marsh is a pleasure to visit at any time of the year with normally much to see.

To be continued...... and shorter reports.lol!!!

Attachments

• H.Sparrows..Cafe! [].JPG
    H.Sparrows..Cafe! [].JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Caspian & Sandwich Tern. [].JPG
    Caspian & Sandwich Tern. [].JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Scarlet Darter (2).JPG
    Scarlet Darter (2).JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Pera Marsh (2) [].JPG
    Pera Marsh (2) [].JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Stonechat [].JPG
    Stonechat [].JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 68
A few more photographs!!

Attachments

• Golden Plover (2) [].JPG
    Golden Plover (2) [].JPG
    174 KB · Views: 59
  • Wheatear. [].JPG
    Wheatear. [].JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Curlew Sandpiper [].JPG
    Curlew Sandpiper [].JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Sanderling [].JPG
    Sanderling [].JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Fan-tailed Warbler (2).JPG
    Fan-tailed Warbler (2).JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 73
The last few.......for now!!!

Attachments

• Sardinian Warbler [].JPG
    Sardinian Warbler [].JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Pera Marsh  [].JPG
    Pera Marsh [].JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Spoonbills (2) [].JPG
    Spoonbills (2) [].JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Spoonbills [].JPG
    Spoonbills [].JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Spoonbills (4).JPG
    Spoonbills (4).JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 55
Just what I needed on a chilly and damp October afternoon, Pam...a warm view of Portugal! Thanks for sharing it. Great selection of birds too. The marsh area sounds really good with plenty to see.

I could do with a week there...do you think that the doc would prescribe t for me?!;)

A brilliant report with some stunning pics Pam!:t:
After the day we've had here that blue sky looks very appealing!
The photo's of the S.Warbler,F.T.Warbler and especially the Caspian Tern are so nice to see but my favourite picture is the Golden Plover which is a wonderful shot,well done!
Black Stork,R.N.Nightjars,G.Ibis,Bluethroat and a Pied Flycatcher in your garden I'd be in heaven!o:D
I'm looking forward to your next installment already!

Fantastic report, Pam:t:

Sounds like you had a great time and managed to get the full bag!! Surprised to read of so many birds that are familiar to us in the UK, though nodoubt many of the scarcer ones are easier to see or in greater numbers than we enjoy in this country!!

Love the Stonechat perched on top of the weed especialy, always a pleasure to see on the coast and one of my favourite little birds!!

Looking forward to seeing some more pics!!

Matt

What a wonderful way to drive away the 'drab autumn' blues Pam. A very good report, augmented by some terrific pics.
I await episode two with interest. Thanks for sharing your hols with us.

Baz.

What an enjoyable report Pam and I loved the pics. If I had to pick a favourite it would be the Sanderling, great shot. Looking forward to the next part.

PS I feel the Algarve calling me!

Thank you all very much indeed for your kind replies.

Writing this report is making me feel that I want to go back to the Algarve tomorrow!o:D

Whose up for a week in Portugal?|8)|

Monday the 29th we had a thunderous awakening at around 4.00am!!!! Such a loud thunder clap!!! Fortunately after heavy rain in the early morning, the storm which had been in the area for almost 36 hours abated to leave a lovely sunny day!

A trip to Quinta do Lago was planned for part of today. Quinta do Lago is an exclusive resort with I believe, 4 Golf courses. The resort is set in hundreds of acres of Stone Pines and is bordered by the Ria Formosa nature reserve. This lagoon landscape stretches along the Eastern Algarve coast from Faro to the village of Cacela Velha near Tavira. As it was a hot day we decided against walking the nature trail and walked instead alongside the estuary by the very exclusive villas. There were literally hundreds of Gulls, I don't do gulls, well I am trying to do them! Kentish Plover, Turnstone, Sanderling, Curlew Sandpiper, Spotted Redshank, Grey Plover, Little Egret, Sardinian Warbler, Fan-tailed Warbler, Cetti's (Heard! Cetti's were heard in most locations we visited but never seen!), House Sparrow and Azure-Winged Magpie were seen along this stretch of the Estuary. We spotted the Praying Mantid on the bridge that links the resort to the beach.

Tuesday the 30th we visited the small resort of Carvoeiro, a place where we have had some very good holidays, and then on to Carvoeiro Lighthouse. It was a hot and sunny day today so not too many birds around as we were coming up to the hottest part of the day. The cliffs are spectacular to see in this area, though a head for heights is needed in some places. Especially when you come across some 'algares' which are holes in the cliff where the sea has eaten it away from underneath, luckily there are fences around, but it just shows how fragile the cliffs can be. Plenty of Gulls obviously to be seen. Rock Doves, Wheatear, Blackcap and the odd few hundred Crickets in the scrub area! Not as many dragonflies as we normally see in this area. I did however manage a photo of a damselfly, an Iberian Bluetail.

To be continued...

Attachments

• Azure-Winged Magpie.JPG
    Azure-Winged Magpie.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Grey Plover.JPG
    Grey Plover.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Praying Mantid.JPG
    Praying Mantid.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Pied Flycatcher.JPG
    Pied Flycatcher.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Quinta do Lago.JPG
    Quinta do Lago.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Carvoeiro photo's.

Attachments

• Carvoeiro (2).JPG
    Carvoeiro (2).JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Carvoeiro 'algares'.JPG
    Carvoeiro 'algares'.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Carvoeiro 'algares' (2).JPG
    Carvoeiro 'algares' (2).JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 56
  • P1070747 [].JPG
    P1070747 [].JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 63
Oh Pam!!
What a fantastic variety of wildlife and the Warblers are fabulous. I absolutely love the Azure winged Magpie, what a great looking bird.
It looks and sounds like the Algarve was a wonderful place to visit, thanks for your excellent report & pics Pam.
I'm packed! :t:

A lovely second episode Pam: it must have been heavenly. There's only one major drawback- I wasn't there to enjoy it. LOL!!

Baz.

Oh to be where even the Sparrows need parasols! Lovely to read your reports on such a damp and dreary morning Pam. I won't list all the birds that would be firsts for me but there are plenty. Your pics give us a really good feel for the place. It must have been nice to see familiar birds as well as exotics. Sanderling are one of my favourite birds but I associate them with chilly northern beaches not paddling around broken coral heads!

Thank you very much Pie, Baz and Roy for your kind replies. Much appreciated.:t:

I am almost packed, Pie! How about you two joining us, Baz and Roy!o:D

I am off now to finish my report!:hi:

PS: The Sanderling pic is one of my favourites, Roy!

I'm packed too tho I'd only last about 10 minutes in that heat!!! :-O
More superb pics Pam,great to see the A.W.Magpie again and a super pic of the little Spotted Fly.Nice to see a Grey Plover for a change too!

The scenery in the 2nd set is superb isn't it.....no wonder you love the area so much!

Thanks for sharing......especially over such a miserable weekend here weather wise!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back